Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Icemilk

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2012
Denver
Calling it "the new iPad" is just the simplest way of dropping the number scheme. The next iPad will again be "the new iPad."

paulbee

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2011
Yeah, that's an epic fail on the name. I mean "The New iPad" Really???

That's not the name. "New" isn't part of the name. It's not capitalized on the slides. It's just a descriptor--"the new iPad," as in, the one we're talking about today. The name of the device is just the iPad now, without versioning. That puts it in line with the way Apple handle computers--it's not "iMac 15," just iMac, and you can specify the year if you need to be more specific. I like it.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
As expected.. "meh".
The only thing that would make this a great upgrade if after all the features today, they mentioned Haptic feedback option to switch on and off.

I think from now on we should forget about naming the iDevices, just like the Macs. From now on, it'll be known as the 2012 iPad, the 2012 iPhone, etc.

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
Q: "What iPad do you have? "
A: "The new iPad."

one year later after the next iPad is released

Q: "What iPad do you have?"
A: "The new iPad."
Q: "Which new iPad?"
A: "The older new iPad I guess?"
Q: SO,... it's not the new iPad?"
A: No,... It is the new iPad. Just not the new iPad"
Q: " OK well then,... Who's on first?"

After I readed the new iPad .. I wanted to mention the same, thanks for saving my typing!

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

You are correct, sir. I can't believe people are still falling for this! The iPad equivalent of an iPhone 4S. Basically. Once again they were poised to "revolutionize" yet at this point they're just copy-cat'ers --- with the exception of the screen. Opens the door for the competition to outshine and they've got at least an entire year to do so before the next iPad. A 5mp camera in a world of 8's? With no flash?? Really?? Stay tuned for the summer, folks. More of the same smoke and mirrors for the next iPhone I'm sure. Wouldn't put it past them to release another 3.5" screen either. Laughable.

You could say the same thing about the iPad 2. I think the numbers speak for themselves when it comes to that versus the competition. :rolleyes:

s2obed

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
Why is everyone so concerned about the name? I don't care what it's called, I'd still like to get my hands on one.

iPad 3rd generation. Simple as that..

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
I think Apple's wheels are spinning a bit here on the iPad...they seem to try to push the whole "it's the best gaming platform ever!!!" mentality (when it isn't) while also pushing this as some mobile device (sure, it's mobile...but people aren't walking down the street with it surfing the net or making a call).

Lots of spin in this event and Tim Stevens doesn't have the charisma of Steve to make it sound revelatory. The gaming comment was really weak. Sure, it's a popular gaming choice - for people who don't care about games. Comparing it to the 360 and PS3 is ridiculous when the bulk of iOS games and players are not Mass Effect 3 types but involve word puzzles and flipping pigs.

It's like saying the Toyota Camry is the number one choice for drivers of cars. Yeah, if like the majority of the public you don't really care about performance or the driving experience.

Now let's see what the competitors release over the next 12 months and see how much ground they make up.

As long as they just keep throwing stuff at the wall I don't think it will make any difference. Saturation bombardment doesn't help at all and I've lost count of the number of tablets Samsung has. I can barely remember what they are called amongst all the phones of similar names.

Amazon at least have the correct idea. Singular focus and careful planning even if the hardware is lacking.

MacCraig Pro

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2012
Manchester, UK
Bit of a let down really. Nothing overly compelling to want to upgrade.

Was especially looking forward to the Apple TV seeing as its not been updated in 18 months, what do we get? 1080p and a new interface, whoop-de-frigging-do!

Won't be replacing my Apple TV 2....

cacophony555

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2010
From the specs:

"FaceTime camera with VGA-quality photos and video"

:(

VGA = 640x480

Other than that the new iPad looks great.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
That's not the name. "New" isn't part of the name. It's not capitalized on the slides. It's just a descriptor--"the new iPad," as in, the one we're talking about today. The name of the device is just the iPad now, without versioning. That puts it in line with the way Apple handle computers--it's not "iMac 15," just iMac, and you can specify the year if you need to be more specific. I like it.

Next year it will be the nEW Ipad.

Last I checked, that would give you 128 permutations.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It's called "being realistic", my cynical friend!:D Maybe you should try it sometime, because not everybody is a Sheeple.

Apple makes good products. I own a iPod Touch myself, but I'm not an Apple Sheeple who bought it because of the brand name, I bought it because of what it could do. As I said in a previous post here, I'm more into specs than the brand name and whether you like it or not, there ARE people who will buy a product because of its specs rather than brand name, myself interested.

I would have definitely bought an iPad this year, but seeing as it's nothing more than one of Apple's smoke and mirrors incremental upgrades, I'll pass on it this year and let everybody else buy one while waiting till next year to see if Apple brings out one with 128GB of storage. Look at it this way, there may be people who think that 64GB is more than enough, but for a lot of people, they'll always want more storage for things like books, music, magazines, etc and 64GB isn't going to cut it in this multimedia age!

I know if I was running Apple, I'd definitely give the customers what they say they would want because it's good business, and if that means 128GB or more of storage, then so be it. In fact, I wouldn't be too surprised if there isn't an Android tablet coming out in the next year or so which would have 128GB of storage built-in.
it has nothing to do with being a sheeple. I am realistic. I wasn't expecting every rumor that showed up on a blog to be included with this new ipad. But I'm sorry when I see a post from someone claiming they were going to get an iPad but are now going to get an [insert Android device here] instead I'm a bit skeptical. Sounds too much like fandroid trolling to me.

Lordskelic

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2010
Texas
Riiight. Because iPad 3 or iPad HD would've been "original."

They haven't named the iPods in years. Why stick a number on the iPad? You either want the new one or the cheapest one. It's obvious. The number is just clutter. Apple doesn't like clutter.

If you buy an iPad this year, you have the 2012 iPad.

Really it's just iPad 3rd Generation.

itommyboy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Titletown USA
Nope it's in fact "the new ipad"...well for now. Of course it will only become known/watered down as "ipad" in time but how god damn lazy and sloppy. I bet SteveO is turning over in his grave already! :eek: So glad I don't care about this crap like I used to.

No5tromo

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2012
this year: "The New iPad"
next year: "The Newer iPad"
the year after: "The Newest iPad"
the year after: "The Newster iPad"...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.