Live DJ Software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AndrewLyle, Mar 22, 2009.

1. AndrewLyle macrumors member

Whats the best mac equivilent to Tracktor, or abelton live, etc

looking for live DJ'ing software, to initially use no physical hardware

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Traktor DJ Studio, Ableton Live and Suite are also available for Mac OS X.

3. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

i dont know about those i just know the best is serato scratch, expensive but if ur making a living of it its worth it, if ur doing hobbyist stuff get virtual dj, thats what i got i love it

4. rangda macrumors newbie

rangda

Traktor and SSL are similar enough that which is 'better' really comes down to which set of features you want. The OP said that he wasn't planning on using the software with any additional hardware which leaves SSL out because even if you could run it w/o timecode (which I don't think you can but I don't use SSL) you'd have to hook up the audio controller.

On the Traktor vs. SSL front they both have some features the other doesn't have, any of which might be a deal breaker for you one way or the other. Both (based on their forum posts) appear to be pretty finicky pieces of software. (I use Traktor Scratch Pro and haven't had any serious issues with it nor have I with Traktor Scratch before it but a fair amount of others have.)

SSL does video, has (arguably) a cleaner UI, is much more of an industry standard (you'd have some small chance of finding a Serato box in a club already), is probably slightly less flakey. Traktor Pro supports 4 decks instead of 2, supports FLAC for losless audio, and (I believe) has a better effects section, is probably slightly more flakey. Both of these are designed to provide the traditional DJ interface to a computer, i.e. you are playing songs and mixing/beat matching.

Live on the other hand is really performance software. You could use it to beatmatch but you'd be pounding a round peg into a square hole. It is more intended for performance art, for constructing electonic music on the fly from samples, rhythm patterns, etc., allowing you to tweak the patterns as part of a live performance. In effect you'd be making your own music instead of playing someone else's.

If you want to be more like a DJ playing music then Traktor, SSL, Deckadance, djDecks, Torq, etc. are better choices. If you want to be a performer then Live may be what you want. Assuming you want the former, pretty much all of the software that doesn't require timecode has demos available for you to play with (since you don't want external hardware the timecode solutions won't be useful to you).

However, if you are at all serious about his I'd strongly recommend a MIDI controller front end instead of using the laptop keyboard. It will make your life so much easier regardless of which setup you go with.

Also the laptop audio I/O sucks; if you're just using it for monitoring and you're net broadcasting or recording to hard disk then it's fine but if you're going to hook it up to a PA to perform out then I'd strongly recommend an external audio box of some variety. (Many of the programs must or can come with an external sound I/O device.)