Live Feed to a Projector + Record at the sametime from a Mini-DV Camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Intense, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Intense macrumors regular

I have a wedding where I was asked if I can project what I am recording to a large screen (projector) while I record the wedding. Can someone direct me to which cables and machines I would need to perform such a task.

That would be greatly appreciated, I am currently googling the task to find out more, however, a little help would greatly shorten my research time.

thanks a lot

2. fwhh macrumors regular

Most camcorders have a mini-jack (3.5mm) - video/audio out. If you don't have a 3.5mm jack to RCA cable you can buy it at almost any electronics store. Mostly those are special plugs with 4 contacts instead of 3 as on a headphone. Use this cable to feed the signal into the projector ("composite in" or "video in") and record as usual. Be aware that sometimes the pin-out is different depending on the manufacturer. If you don't get a picture with the yellow RCA plug, try the other ones (red/white) too on the video input.
    If you want to run the video cable over a longer distance you may want to rent a professional video cable (e.g. RG59-Type) from a local event/show tech company. It will only cost a few $, make sure to get the adapters you need, as those cabels are usually fitted with BNC connectors.
    No over devices should be needed.
    And: don't think of using firewire/usb for live feeds. The delay is really awful.
    And: check your setup well BEFORE the wedding.