Live in NYC, Verizon.. or ATT?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Starfyre, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Starfyre macrumors 68020

Starfyre

I live in NYC, I know with voice, the ATT service I have for my iPhone sucks when I am in buildings and Verizon seems to get better Voice reception. Anybody from around the NYC area pick ATT over Verizon besides being grandfathered into the unlimited plan?

2. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

I live in NYC as well, and I strongly suggest you choose Verizon, which in my opinion offers superior quality to AT&T.

3. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

Pretty sure that ATTs LTE is currently a little bit faster than Verizon's (not their 4g, but their LTE), and they have that in NY. Whether it holds up when more people get on the network is another story.

For NYC, I really don't think it makes much of a diff.

4. ivan2002 macrumors regular

I am in NYC and have an AT&T iPhone (which is 3G obviously, not LTE), and a Verizon Mobile Broadband modem which is LTE/3G.

For a very long time this was a no-brainier: AT&T was very, very bad. It has improved a lot recently. I no longer find myself in spots where my phone gets almost no bars anymore. Still, I think Verizon is better. LTE is almost everywhere, and 3G absolutely everywhere.

If we keep in mind that iPhone is very popular in NYC (probably more than anywhere else in US), combined with the fact that people spend more time being out and about and using 3G rather than sitting home and using WiFi, and with the fact that NYC is the most densely populated area in the country, Verizon getting the iPhone went quite a way in equalizing the network loads which were previously weighing quite heavily on AT&T.

Further, people say that AT&T LTE is faster, and my impression is that eventually, it's coverage will be as good as Verzion's (but they are not there yet).

Still, I ordered a Verizon LTE iPad, but here is what played a major role in my decision: I will be getting a new AT&T iPhone when it comes out later this year and it will quite probably have the LTE. So, I wanted to end up with one of each. Also, unlike AT&T, Verizon offers a 10G plan (for $80/month). I know it's not for everyone, but I do use a lot of data, and extra 5G for $30 is a better deal than paying $10 per 1G in overage fees.

5. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68020

Starfyre

Taking public transportation a lot.. I know with ATT, when being in the subway underground, oftentimes there is no service (I'm guessing because of the GSM?).... is CDMA on Verizon better for the subways underground in public transit?