Live Messenger issues

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by petersays, Nov 25, 2007.

1. petersays macrumors member

Hi, i checked the forum for the answers but i haven't been able to find em so here goes:

1. I can't seem to rename my contacts (this is vital to me cuse i HATE people changing their name all the time)

2. Since im a new macuser i am very used to how MSN worked on PC. Is it possible to have it act more like the PC version? E.g. the personal contacts-window always being on top unless you minimize it. I kinda miss seeing it on the right side of my screen while playing around on the net with firefox.

3. Does messenger for mac have support for offline messages?

Cheers,

Peter

2. cornopaez macrumors regular

cornopaez

Unfortunately, the Mac version of Msn Messegner is less developed than its Windoze brother. There's no support for offline messages as far as I know and it definitively won't behave the same way. If you're looking into alternatives, I definitively recommend Adium (http://www.adiumx.com ). It's highly customizable and supports almost every imaginable IM network... this one you can make it behave a little bit more like Messenger in Win but with the Mac touch: you can change your contact's name & it has support for offline messages in certain networks.

3. iTim314 macrumors 6502

The Mac version of MSN:mac is about 4 versions behind the PC version. If I'm correct, Microsoft is soon to Scrap MSN:mac entirely in favor of creating a feature complete Live Messenger for Mac that will be updated along with Windows Live Messenger.

Though knowing Microsoft, this may take quite some time.

Until then, you can try several other free alternatives available for the Mac, both of wish are far better than MSN:mac

aMSN - This is a great alternative to MSN:mac. I used it for quite some time.
    Adium - Adium is a far better alternative to aMSN for many reasons; 1) Not only does it handle MSN, it handles AIM, Yahoo!, ICQ, and many others, and 2) it offers much more functionality such as the feature you wanted, sync your contacts list with Address Book to show First and Last names. I use Adium daily now, and I highly recommend it.

Cheers

EDIT>> cornopaez beet me too it. :)