Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AbSoluTc

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Ability to take Live Photo’s during FaceTime calls has been removed. Will it be coming back? Really sucks they removed this feature.

afir93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2018
The obvious answer is that we don't know, and that's all the answers anyone can give without going into speculation.

That said, I'd rather expect it to be a temporary omission because of the big FaceTime redesign in iOS 12. Apple probably wants to nail the group FaceTime feature along with its new interface and functionality first and foremost, and they might just not have found the time to squeeze in that feature properly and in time for the iOS 12 release, so they temporarily took it out, similarly to how many other bigger app redesigns have temporarily removed features that then came back a year or so later. I believe there's even still an on/off switch in the iOS 12 beta for Live Photos during FaceTime, which would support this theory (and it also fits well with Apple's new iOS 12-attitude of holding off with delivering new features until they are truly ready). The feature isn't even that old; there isn't a feasible reason to deliberately remove it permanently.

AbSoluTc

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
The obvious answer is that we don't know, and that's all the answers anyone can give without going into speculation.

That said, I'd rather expect it to be a temporary omission because of the big FaceTime redesign in iOS 12. Apple probably wants to nail the group FaceTime feature along with its new interface and functionality first and foremost, and they might just not have found the time to squeeze in that feature properly in time for the iOS 12 release, similarly to how many other bigger app redesigns have temporarily removed features that then came back a year or so later. I believe there's even still an on/off switch in the iOS 12 beta for Live Photos during FaceTime, which would support this theory. The feature isn't even that old; there isn't a feasible reason to deliberately remove it permanently.

The switch has been removed. It was there a few betas back but has since been removed. Even with it there, the option to take a photo was not there during a call. I believe because of the stupid Memoji/crappy Snapchat like filters they now have.

afir93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2018
The switch has been removed. It was there a few betas back but has since been removed. Even with it there, the option to take a photo was not there during a call. I believe because of the stupid Memoji/crappy Snapchat like filters they now have.
Interesting, didn't know they removed it since.

Not sure though what relation you see between the removal of Live Photos in FaceTime and the new Memoji-stuff, apart from it being another reason why Apple might not have managed to get the Live Photos feature into the redesigned FaceTime app in time for its launch. If anything, the new Memoji and Animoji filters should be all the more reason to take Live Photos during a FaceTime call!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.