Live Photos - how to backup to Mac?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LastLine, Sep 27, 2015.

1. LastLine macrumors 65816

So I've got my wife a 6S, and got one sat here waiting to open myself based on the live Photos feature - we love it, great for family snaps.

How can I get these to backup to my Mac? iPhoto and the newer Photos apps both seem to store these as seperate jpg and .mov files which isn't really ideal. Is there a way to store them as a live photo when transferring to the Mac?

2. stix666 macrumors regular

Photos app stores it as a live photo. There is an icon that appears in the lower left hand corner - when you hover the cursor over it, it works. Unlike the iPhone, it seems to show the full buffer so it's live for longer.

3. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

Really? I haven't seen that in my experience. I'm just running an OS X update to the el cap gm at the minute so can't check, but which version of photos are you seeing this on?

4. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

You have to wait till the end of the month when El-Cap is released then your live photo will be synced with Photos on Mac automatically.

5. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

Do you have a source on this? I found it on Reddit earlier but couldn't find anything reliable to base it on and as Live Photos is a key feature for me (we do a Photo a Day project for my son) it's a thing that will impact my decision to open my new phone or return it.

6. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

A source is Apple Keynote. They specifically said it will be compatible with El-Cap.

7. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks - I haven't had the chance to watch the keynote yet worryingly. Yeah, I've just updated to the El Capitan GM and it does work as the previous poster stated. Winner. Unpacking to follow!