Live Photos Uses

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ErikH14, Nov 29, 2015.

1. ErikH14 macrumors newbie

ErikH14

Please tell me that there is a use to the live photos besides just viewing them on iOS devices. Is there a way to use the Live Photos in iMovie for the iPhone 6s. I am taking a trip coming up and I want to use those Live Photos in a video created on my phone through iMovie. Is there a way to get the mov file by itself on my iPhone 6s only? Is anyone else unsure what the whole idea is without support?

2. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

For me it is pretty well useless. Using it outside Apple's ecosystem is not possible.

3. ABC5S macrumors 68040

4. Genkakuzai macrumors regular

I'd probably use it more if the fram rate was less sh*tty. It's way too much stutter now, even with minimal movement.

5. Applefan4 macrumors 6502

I don't know why people are hating on Live Photos. I love that feature. Great if you have pets as well

6. Farsider macrumors 6502

Farsider

Live Photos are not movies. They are recorded at a low frame rate. They are designed to capture some ambiance around the time the photo was taken. They are in a special JPEG format, not MOV. Its got more in common with a GIF than an MPEG.

You can view Live Photos on any device running iOS 9 or Mac running El Cap. For everything except the 6S, you simply tap or hold the mouse pointer over the Live Photo to play it in Photos.

If you have iCPL, you can export the Live Photos to disk on a Mac. I'm unaware of any Application that allows you to merge multiple LPs into 1 Movie. Try searching the MacApp Store.

7. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

There are a few apps that will allow you to convert a Live Photo into a standard .GIF...which is what it's closest to anyway. I have tried Lively, and it seems to work relatively well.

8. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

On Windows I pull my photos directly off the phone with File Explorer. The Live photos are two files, one .jpg and the other the .mov file you desire.

9. Farsider macrumors 6502

Farsider

You're right - I stand corrected!

10. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I didn't realize I was contradicting you. :D I thought yours was a thoughtful, informative post.

11. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

It would be nice if we had the ability to scroll through a live photo and choose a from different frames as the main photo, at the very least I expected this capability. That being said, it's still pretty cool, especially for pets as someone else mentioned but there's really no functionality to them otherwise, we have to rely on third party apps for that.

12. jasondinh macrumors newbie

jasondinh

We just release an update to Lively that let you pick a single frame out of a Live Photos, check it out. You can also export as GIF/movie from Live Photos.

13. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

14. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Thanks! Love your app.

15. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Facebook is building the ability to share live photos in it's iOS app coming soon.

16. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

17. noobinator macrumors 601

18. Vicrooloo macrumors regular

IIRC Live Photos are the photographs you take when pressing the shutter button and a small MOV file of the subsequent other photos and audio. So you still have the photo and a video file to use. FB is right now launching an update for Live Photo support and IIRC Flickr or Photobucket will update for Live Photos too

I love Live Photos. All it takes is one good shot to convince you Apple has made something really really special.

19. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

I actually use it sometimes, its great for capturing some moments and useless for others. By defaults its off, but I turn it on when I know that a live photo would be cool in a situation. Its a shame that its not a universal standard though.

20. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

I used it to record photos at a winter lights display. Usually I have to take a video as I go through the display and then snap photos while recording the video. I didn't necessarily want one long video of the whole tour but I did want some way to record the animation of some of the displays. Live photo let me capture that animation with ease.

21. orioncrystalice macrumors 6502

orioncrystalice

It's just a fun thing, no need to use it if you don't want to. Square view in Camera has no use for me, but I guess the Instagram people dig it.

22. iDanny26 macrumors regular

iDanny26

I accidentally turned it back on while I was taking photos at a football match, It captures the moment better for me than normal photos could have. So it's not all bad.

Most of the time I take normal photos but it's great that it's a simple icon tap to change modes.

23. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

One of the first things I did when I got my 6S+ is turn off Live Photos.

24. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Turned off after a few tries . If I want movement, I just record in 4K video