Live/recording musician MBP choice.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CalumC, Oct 19, 2008.

1. CalumC macrumors regular

Halp guys.

I know theres a million of these threads around, but you guys are experienced with macs so i feel best trusting you tbh.

So, basically. I'm a music production student, so i need to invest in a mac. I need it to be portable, and powerful, which brings me here. I need to use Logic Pro 8 and Pro Tools LE (that may become HD in the future, though i may have a mac pro by then), but im also going to be using the machine for live performance, synth sounds from mainstage and sound manipulation in programs like MAX/MSP. I'm also a fairly avid gamer, probably running most off bootcamp windows, steam being the main requirement. So i'm probably going to be maxing out whatever i get.

Current thoughts are that the glossy screen could possibly bum me live with lights flashing all over the place, but id rather not invest in a product that is known to have a defective GFX chip (8600).

Personally I love the new MBP in general, aesthetically and power wise as far as i can tell so far just from playing with them in apple shops. This will be my first mac, and i need it to last for at least 5 years. So yeah, guide me oh wise mac lords.

Cheers everyone, great forum community.

2. Nate025 macrumors regular

I'm a musician, don't want to call myself professional but I have been working steady for last couple years, and I'll be using my MBP for all sorts of things from music production to voice creation to live performance applications and recording. I'm also a weekend gamer so I hope to log a few more hours on WOW. :)

I decided on the 2.8ghz model with a 250gb 7200 hd. If I eventually need more hd space a new drive is easily obtained with this new Macbook.

As per the glossy screen worries: I've owned a Toshiba for the last couple years, which has a glossy screen, and have taken it all over the place with me. The only place it really bugs me is outdoors. Normal daylight makes the screen really hard to see and overcast is fine, generally. Indoors I've never had a problem that I can remember. I imagine the Macbooks will look a measure better, but can't say until I get the unit.

I look forward to getting the computer and seeing what it's capable of. I have Reason 3.0 which I plan to test things out with and I'm planning on getting Logic Studio soon enough so I can REALLY go nuts! :D

3. CalumC thread starter macrumors regular

I should probably clarify, when i meant lights when taking it around, i mean if i'm in a gig with that sort of lighting, is that going to be too much for me to see the screen.

4. Nate025 macrumors regular

Yeah like I said, I can't say exactly how the mac will look until I get mine. If you've got a program with a dark backdrop and some heavy lights behind you, you're going to see them. The more white your application, the less reflection you'll get.

Based on my current experience with a two year old and inferior screen, assuming the new macs are what they're claimed to be, I haven't had and don't anticipate any problems at all for my own needs, on or off stage, with the MBP.

5. hyeg35 macrumors newbie

hyeg35

honestly the MBP is going to be the most powerful yet reliable machine available. the fact that the screen is glossy is sort of annoyance but i wouldnt worry too much becuase you can just get a matte film to cover it.