Live sports

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by RyCan3, Sep 12, 2017.

1. RyCan3 macrumors 6502a

RyCan3

Very interested in this. Does this mean we can watch any NFL game without a cable package?

2. jtrue28 macrumors 6502a

jtrue28

Yeah, this intrigued me the most as well. Also, is this a feature of the new TV OS and will work on the current generation TV as well? I'm not replacing all of my Apple TVs with the 4K versions. Not with $1,000 earmarked for a new phone. Grief.

3. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

I doubt it will be like the NFL Sunday ticket

4. mallbritton macrumors 6502a

No, that's not what it means. The TV app will simply show you what is currently playing live in the ESPN app, or any other app that supports it.

5. Mkm1998 macrumors newbie

I'm interested in if the Live TV app will support 4k. Would be very interested if the NBA or NFL offer 4k on their apps. Or hell, HBO. I really want more 4k content, and am thinking this is an easier way to implement than waiting on cable companies or satellite companies.

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

The reason the NFL doesn't have a streaming setup on Apple TV is because NFL streaming is only to Verizon customers!

7. iFan83 macrumors regular

Im surprised NFL hasn't dipped into 4K yet, the NHL took it for a test run last season and from my understanding going to improve on it this season. Now hopefully NHL will bring 4K to centre ice streaming

8. mallbritton macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure what you mean by that. I streamed NFL games in the Fox Sports Go, NBC Sports and ESPN apps this weekend. If I subscribed to CBS All Access I also could have streamed those games as well. If I wanted to pay the horribly inflated price I could also subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket and stream all out of market Sunday games.

9. Robdmb macrumors regular

I am pretty sure Verizon has an exclusive for streaming NFL games to mobile devices (i.e. phones and tablets). I don't think the AppleTV is considered a mobile device.

10. mallbritton macrumors 6502a

That is correct, and would make more sense if @satcomer was referring specifically to streaming to mobile devices.

11. archer75 macrumors 68020

Nope. You need a login for any app you wish to stream from.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    Correct. I was streaming nfl Sunday ticket just this past Sunday.

12. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Yes I that was my bad I didn't make that clear!

13. midwestfisherma macrumors 6502

midwestfisherma

That's not correct. You can use the NFL app on ATV and buy the Sunday Ticket and see any game that you want.

I also watch games on ESPN, Fox, CBS, and NBC through their respective apps and/or Sling TV.

14. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

How many times do I have to apologize in this thread?

15. mallbritton macrumors 6502a

Just once, man. :) @midwestfisherma didn't read the entire thread before posting.