Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ddaprile

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Ok so I have a major problem and need all the help I can get.

I have been trying to research what I need to live stream via my Canon Vixia HF M31 camcorder. The canon.com website says that the camcorder cannot be used for live streaming/web cam, but I know there are ways around it.

It has a component output, mini hdmi output, and usb. I have an early 2008 iMac. I purchased a mini DVI to Video adaptor cable for the iMac but it doesn't seem to work at all for what I need. The camcorder doesn't have any firewire connecter either.

What I need is to use the camcorder for live streaming to something like uStream. If someone could point me in the right direction, it would be great. Thank you!

foshizzle

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
that elgato looks like it's just composite cables, which would not be the full HD quality and I'm not even sure the camera would output to that.

I'd checkout something from Blackmagic Design
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/

You want something that'll capture over HDMI or Component cables. Either that or trade the camera in for the Canon that records to miniDV and has a firewire output.

ddaprile

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Thanks for the help guys, just wondering if any of these would allow me to live stream into something like Apple's BoinxTV or uStream? It doesnt seem like its very clear on the websites. It seems to me like if I would buy one of these products, that it would have to go through the software they provide and its only to upload video onto the iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.