live streaming

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by tarsierspectral, Oct 14, 2010.

1. tarsierspectral macrumors regular

Hi guys,

Just so you know, I don't know much about video but here is my problem. I have a professional HD camcorder that feeds into a switcher which is SD. Then from the switcher it goes to Analog to Digital converter (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._15_DAC_15_Bi_Directional_DV_to.html#features) which has a firewire connection. Using firewire it is connected to a Mac with Flash Media Encoder for live streaming. The quality is OK with SD cameras but when I connect HD camera my output is completely pixelated in the live stream. Does anyone know what is happening? Do I need to get HD switcher? How can I fix this problem?

Thank you

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

yes you need an HD switcher, if not it will be SD. How are you connecting your HD camera? Also what camera are you using?

3. tarsierspectral thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I know it will be SD. That's not the concern. When I connect SD camera I don't get pixelated stream. I want to know when I get pixelated live stream when I use SD switcher and HD camera. I would expect at least the same quality from the HD as SD. The camera is connected using composite cable. The camera is Canon XF300. Thanks

4. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

How does the stream look connected directly to your setup without the switcher?

How does it look connected directly to a monitor?

5. boch82 macrumors 6502

What outputs are you using on the camera to connect to the switcher? I am not familiar with the Canon XF300. I use a similar set up with a Sony EX-3. There is a setting in the menu to downconvert the SDI output to SD. Chances are there is a problem between the camera putting out and HD signal which the SD switcher does not properly handle.

6. tarsierspectral thread starter macrumors regular

I haven't tried it. But actually reconnected everything and it seems OK

7. tarsierspectral thread starter macrumors regular

On the camera I have it set to component out SD and to crop. It is working fine now when I reconnected. The switcher can only do 4:3 and the choices on the camera I have are squeeze, crop and letterbox. The stream doesn't look too good but I think I have too high expectations. What's your streaming bitrate?

8. boch82 macrumors 6502

usually use 1.6mb/s its the equivalent to h.264 codec.