Live TV Network Streaming Apps

bigpatky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
There is already a similar topic but it seemed focused only on streaming your own tuners to the Apple TV rather than individual app based streaming. I thought it would be useful to groupsource a list of tv networks that offer live streaming through an app on the Apple TV.

It seems that there are three ways to stream live networks - authentication (i.e. ESPN networks), subscription (i.e. CBS All Access), and hardware based (HD Homerun + Channels app). Some networks overlap.

Here's what I know. Please offer any corrections or additions or at least point me to a more appropriate thread if this has already been covered.

Subscription
CBS All Access
HBO Now*
Showtime Anytime
Sling TV

Authentication
WatchESPN**
WatchABC***
CNN
HBOGo*
Showtime Anytime
HGTV
Travel Channel
Food Network
Disney Channel
Disney Jr
Disney XD
Discovery Channel
TLC
Animal Planet
Investigation Discovery
American Heroes Channel
Destination America
Science Channel
Discovery Life
Velocity
FX
FXX
FXM
Cooking channel
DIY
Free Form (ABC Family)
NBCSN*****
TBS
TNT
Fox Sports

Although the above networks do require cable subscription, it may still be useful for many as an alternative to a traditional cable box method of viewing live tv as many use this as a way to cut costs on multiple cable boxes in a home or share logins with friends or family.

Hardware based
Channels (HDHomeRun)

Free
ABC News
HSN
BYUtv

Unavailable (Major network or live streaming available on other devices)
SlingPlayer (hardware based)
Playstation Vue****
FoxNow
NBC
TWC TV
Dish Anywhere
DirecTV
Pac-12 Now
BTN

There are dozens of other networks that offer no methods of live streaming outside of the new "online slim bundles". The networks listed above may offer streaming outside of the Apple TV app store or may have AirPlay enabled.

*Partially (most episodes become available to stream a few minutes after live TV starts)
**Cable authentication or authentication through non-cable sources such as Sling or Vue. ESPN streaming networks include ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNews, SECN, LHN, ESPN3, and ESPN events on ABC
***Select markets (Chicago, Fresno, Houston, Los Angeles, New York City, Philadelphia, Raleigh-Durham and San Francisco)
****Subscription may offer streaming to most channels along with authentication to applicable apps
*****Live streaming during select events

Last edited:

cmmncw

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2016
I would add NBCSN to the authentication category but with a caveat. A live stream is offered in the app when there is a live event. For example, I watched a live feed of the Stanely Cup playoffs last night. No live stream is offered when the channel is airing non-live content.

bigpatky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
I would add NBCSN to the authentication category but with a caveat. A live stream is offered in the app when there is a live event. For example, I watched a live feed of the Stanely Cup playoffs last night. No live stream is offered when the channel is airing non-live content.
I did not know that. Could've been of use to me a few times. Thanks.