Live/Updating Icons

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dporter15, Nov 27, 2013.

1. dporter15 macrumors member

Hey guys. I was searching DeviantArt last week for some custom icon when I came across a page where he had created a rendering of both an iTunes and App Store icons. Both of which I thought where pretty cool. He thought of an idea when using iTunes for example, the bezel around the icon would have the song progress or download progress. I was curious if anyone had created something similar or if it was even possible to accomplish. I'm sure Jonny would appreciate it as well. Thanks!

ios7_app_store_icon_for_osx_by_jonnyburgon-d6utirs.jpg

ios7_itunes_icon_for_osx_by_jonnyburgon-d6u4yj3.jpg

Here's a link to his page as well.

http://jonnyburgon.deviantart.com/art/iOS7-iTunes-icon-for-OSX-413416911

2. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

I'm not sure if it is possible, but it would be an amazing addition to OS X as well as iOS. Looking at the icon could give you some information without having to open or switch to the app. (especially useful for downloads)

3. priitv8 macrumors 68020

It should be. Look at the updating icons of such programs like Calendar, Activity Monitor, Quarz Debug or even Handbrake or uTorrent.

4. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

I meant possible to edit existing applications. The applications have to be programmed to update the icon, but you can't access the code of bundled OS X applications like iTunes and the App Store.

5. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Ah that! You are right, my bad.