live-updating on smart playlists finally work! [maybe not]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sal, Jun 18, 2009.

1. sal macrumors 6502

I have a smart playlist that collects all the podcasts with 0 playcounts

Once I listen to it, it gets removed from the smart playllist. The problem was until 3.0, the smartplaylist would NEVER live update.

It wouldn't remove the listened podcasts until I synced with itunes. But with the 3.0 software, it now live updates!

Not a big deal for some but for me that's a huge deal. I always hated how the regular ipods live updated but the iphone didn't. Good to know that it now functions like itunes.

2. sal thread starter macrumors 6502

okay, I take that back. Live updating works with podcasts but for some reason, live updating still doesn't work for music.

I use smartplaylists to create dynamic playlists that are always changing. It's SAD that my iphone still doesn't handle them correctly and my 4+ year old ipod does.

3. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

If your smart playlists include rules about play and skip counts, it's not only a problem with the iPhone but with iTunes itself. I have smart playlists that are supposed to remove any songs that are skipped, but I'll advance the track in iTunes and half the time the song will stay on the list because the skip count remains blank.

So much for just "working out of the box".

4. sal thread starter macrumors 6502

I only experienced that problem on the iphone, in itunes, smart playlists works as they should. One thing mentioning about skip count is will depend on how long a song has been playing. If a song starts playing and you immediately skip the song, it will not register it. if you leave the song playing for 10-15 seconds, skipping the song will register a skip count.

the iphone does a good job at keeping track of skips and play counts, but it won't use this information to update the smart playlist on the spot. It will instead wait until it syncs to itunes AND then make the changes.