Live Video - Which Capture Card?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by AlanF, Dec 16, 2010.

1. AlanF macrumors newbie

Hi,

At my church we are part-way through the process of planning a system that will enable our church to capture our sermons live using the Panasonic AG-HMC41 camera. The original thinking was to route the captured (down-converted to SD) video through a Canopus ADVC110 into a Macbook Pro. Then such editing as would be necessary would be done using Final Cut Express.

Today however it was pointed out to us that whereas there is a 'component out' on the HMC41, there is no 'component in' on the Canopus ADVC110 - problem!

So we need to look for another capture device. The Blackmagic H.264 Pro Recorder would have been ideal, but its arrival in the UK would appear to been delayed and delayed, and delayed again, so everyone I have talked to does not know when it will be available for purchase here.

Someone has suggested today that we should take a look at the Hauppauge HD PVR, but from what I have looked at so far it is mainly aimed at gamers who want to record the games they play, and maybe capture from TV. It also seems to be mainly targeted at Windows based systems, but is able to be used with the Mac so long as an additional piece of software is installed enabling the desired footage to be captured. Also, I'm not sure whether you can actually see/monitor the video that is being captured live. Does anyone have any experience of using the Hauppage HD PVR, and is it suitable for using to capture live church video footage?

So essentially I am looking for advice on a video capturing device, that has a component in, and can be used on a Macbook Pro in a scenario where the operator can see/monitor the video being captured. Does anyone have any ideas?

I very much look forward to hearing from anyone who might be able to help with the above.

Regards,

AlanF

2. boch82 macrumors 6502

3. AlanF thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback. We would be downconverting to SD. I will look at the other two capture devices you mention, but as I'm in the UK I don't know how easy they would be to obtain, and what the cost would be here.

I think that I would still prefer the Blackmagic H.264 Pro Recorder if it was available here, but sadly it seems not to have arrived in the UK yet.

Regards,

AlanF