Live View Tethering

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Apple Corps, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

My new camera will be the Canon 5D Mk II. I have yet to purchase my editing software.

So my question is what editing software will support tethering for my new Canon with Live View and provide shutter release through the laptop?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I think the software that comes with it (EOS Utility) will do it.

3. Apple Corps thread starter macrumors 68030

robbie - yes, I think it does. How does the "workflow" go though?

Canon 5D via the Canon Software to Aperture or PS or Lightroom or what?

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Well you have to choose what you want to use. If you're using Aperture you can setup an Applescript folder action to auto import from the folder that EOS Utility saves the images to. I assume something similar is possible with Lightroom.

5. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

Aperture 3 and Lightroom can both tether natively. No need for middleware for some cameras. Unfortunately the Canon 5D mk2 is not yet supported however.. AFAIK.

So I would go with hotfolders in aperture (it's a folder you can tell Aperture to watch and import automatically) OR shoot with EOS utility and then import the shots you want..

EDIT: Correction with 10.6.4 Canon 5d mk2 is now supported with straight tethering.

6. Presha macrumors regular

I've always used ( ononesoftware) for doing this. Check it out! There's an app in the apple store or you can go directly to there website...maybe i should take a look at my canon's software also, i didn't know it could that.::D

7. snberk103 macrumors 603

Phase One has software called Capture One that will allow you shoot tethered. I am just figuring out how to use it, so I can't fully compare it. However, it seems to be similar to Lightroom for organizing images, optimizing them, presenting them, etc. It is a RAW convertor too of course. And the FAQ says that Capture One Pro allows you shoot with your Canon tethered. Link.

According to MacPerformanceGuide.com it also is the best at utilizing multiple cores.

Hope this helps.

8. Apple Corps thread starter macrumors 68030

snberk - Capture One Pro WAS my emerging choice but it does not support Live View.

What I want to do is view my subject on the laptop / iPad and trigger the shutter from the computer / iPad.

Phase One explained that the Canon software developer kit does not give them that ability. Not sure I understand that but it is what I was told today.

9. Apple Corps thread starter macrumors 68030

Let me make another run at my question. Tethering encompasses a number of things I guess.

The functionality I want is to view my subject live on my computer and activate the shutter release from the computer.

So - please continue with your guidance - it is appreciated.

10. JoshBoy macrumors 6502

JoshBoy

Not only can you do that from the software provided you can also do it from an iphone if you wish.

All posts above are correct on what you can use, the canon software will allow you to control the shutter release etc and as started you can set up the iphone to control everything on the camera from iso to f-stop to shutter.

11. Presha macrumors regular

Try ononesoftware! I think that's what you're looking for. It allows you to do all those things you mentioned....live view from an Ipad, laptop, iPhone, iPod touch and desktop. You can control all the features mentioned above, f-stop, shutter speed, ISO and triggering.

12. JoshBoy macrumors 6502

JoshBoy

yup that is it, i think there are a couple more but that looks the best from what I have seen, I have not tried it out yet (expensive app)

13. Apple Corps thread starter macrumors 68030

Well - looks like I have some stuff to start with - thanks for the guidance - I'll get on it and report back in a few days.

Thanks much.

14. JoshBoy macrumors 6502

JoshBoy

15. trjwv macrumors regular

is it possible to only live view and see photo's after capture, via a laptop (MBP), aperture 3 and Nikon D5000, without any additional software. Not interested in controlling the camera, just live view and seeing photo's after capture, oh yes and having the photo store itself in aperture 3 at the same time.
    thanks

16. snberk103 macrumors 603

One other thing to clarify is whether the digital sensor is capable of "live view". I am not familiar with Canon, so perhaps all Canons have the capability...... but, when I was looking at another digital capture product it was explained to me that some sensors don't like being left "on" for extended periods of time and can overheat, which is why some digital capture products don't do "live view". What some companies call "live view" is actually a workflow captures an image, and immediately displays it on an attached monitor.

I'm working with a new to me high-end digital back, so perhaps I didn't understand it entirely, but easy enough to confirm with Canon.

17. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

18. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Pretty much all new or newish Canon SLRs support real live view (and video capture).