Live wallpapers: would you use them?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Apple..., Jan 31, 2011.

?

Would you use live wallpapers if given the option?

1. Yes

35 vote(s)
    36.5%
  2. No

49 vote(s)
    51.0%
  3. Apple will never allow this

12 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

If Apple happened to implement live wallpapers in iOS, would you use them? I find them to be unnecessary - what's your opinion? Discuss.

2. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I've played with the Pixel Zombies one on Android. Damn, that thing is addictive. At the same time I can imagine it would kill the battery. Perhaps if they implemented it natively, it would be better, but even just a video wallpaper on a jailbroken device is pretty harsh battery-wise.

3. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

I also find them unnecessary, even though I'm typically mesmerized by shiny things..

4. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

I might use a very subtle one, Ive experimented with them in the past (via jailbreak) but never really found one that didnt annoy me after an hour.

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

6. Apple... thread starter macrumors 68020

Apple...

I'm sure it depends on which wallpaper you're using and the screen size of the device (another reason why I don't think the current iPhone would ever get live wallpapers - it has a small screen, and the OS is designed in such a way that interaction with it would be quite limited).

7. choice macrumors regular

Currently, I'm using Video Wallpaper and love it. No battery drain either.

8. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Back in 2008 when I still owned the first generation iPhone, but before the iPhone 3G and iOS 2.0 was released, I remember I had jailbroken my iPhone and installed this app that allowed me to do just that, have a live, animated wallpaper.

I remember I had that app installed for a couple weeks (just to show some of my friends) before eventually getting tired, and rather annoyed of it.

3 years later, I haven't even considered to re-install that app, I just don't see the point.

So I'm going to vote no, I would not use it.

9. Apple... thread starter macrumors 68020

Apple...

Agreed. The still wallpaper is good enough for me. Not distracting, no performance issues, etc. etc.

10. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

Funny how those who've used live wallpaper on their Android phones don't complain about battery life. Those who never use it keep claiming it is a battery drainer.:rolleyes:

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

While you're at it, might as well ask if Apple should get rid of the animated slide-to-unlock glow path we see every time we wake up an iOS device.

And the animated zoom when launching or closing an app.

Lord knows how much battery such fun frippery wastes each day ;)

12. Apple... thread starter macrumors 68020

Apple...

I think you're missing the point.

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Most of the animated wallpapers on other phones aren't actually video, right? They're just vector-based animations.

At least, the ones I've seen were.

I'd think battery drain would be minimal for stuff like that (as compared to actual video).

I think Apple will allow that kind of thing and I think I'd use it.

14. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Ha, you are kidding right?

I recently went on vacation with my brother who has an EVO. With all the crap on that phone, he was charging it 3 - 4 times a day. Don't get me wrong, the Pixel Zombies live wallpaper was addictive as hell, but if we were in the car or sitting around the condo where we were staying, it was guaranteed to be charging.

I think you are right on this. The video wallpapers that are currently available on jailbroken iPhones are probably huge(r) battery suckers for this exact reason.

15. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

I tried animated wallpapers in Windows. At first it looked incredibly cool. After a few minutes of actually using the PC the bacgrouds got irritating.

16. Apple... thread starter macrumors 68020

Apple...

This. ^ Choice is good, but I'd find them to be extremely annoying.

For those of you who voted yes: why exactly? Are they cool? Fun to play with? Extra customization?

17. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

My dumb-phone from Straight Talk (prepaid) has a live wallpaper; Apple should offer this. I like them a lot.

Live wallpapers are like any wallpaper selection out there. I don't like most of them, but find a few that I love to use.

18. mz100 macrumors regular

I used to have an EVO and a Hero before my iPhone 4 (jailbroken) and I have never thought of installing a live wallpaper.

Yes, it is cool....for about a minute though.

I showed it off to many friends and family, but in the end of the Day it really is a useless feature. Think about how much attention Android gave it, when in reality they could have created a more useful feature to include in 2.1

Also Apple will never announce "Live wallpapers"
    Especially after Android did it...

The only thing I could think of his maybe, (5% chance lol) Live wallpapers on the lockscreen, or some sort of interaction. But I doubt it.

19. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Bingo. I have both an iPhone 4 and an HTC Droid Incredible with a Sideo 1700mAh slim extended battery. With my typical use, the HTC will be at 40% or less at the end of the work day (7am-5pm). Less with live wallpapers. The iPhone, on the other hand, has never gone below 65% in the same amount of time.

This of course is only my personal experience, but most Android apps seem to have no regard for battery life.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't use any live wallpapers on my droidx. It's just eye candy that drains a battery

21. Apple... thread starter macrumors 68020

Apple...

Really, kenypowa? (looks down) :D

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

While it would be nice to have the option, I wouldn't use it.

23. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

24. MarximusMG macrumors 6502a

MarximusMG

I'm sure that I would use them, but probably only at first. I'd have to find one that I really like if I was going to keep it for a while.

25. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

LOL Touché :D