Live Wallpapers?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jaman10, Jul 12, 2010.

1. jaman10 macrumors newbie

Is there a way to have live wallpapers on iphone 4 like droids?

2. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

Not sure why someone would want this? Then again, people wanted multitasking and now have multitasking but still complain so I guess you can't please everyone.

3. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Once there's an iPhone 4 jailbreak release, there are several live wallpapers in Cydia, similar to the Nexus One. Not sure about the Droid ones though, I would assume so though.

4. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

let's see...enjoy your battery life...or enjoy some animated .gif on your homescreen because you can't find something useful to use those cpu cycles for so, HEY lets waste it on animating some wallpapers...oh the decisions that our feeble minds have to make.

5. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't mind having an option to have the wallpaper rotate through a collection of wallpapers, similar to that on the mac, but I don't need a live one.

6. StephenAndrew macrumors member

I must say, it would be pretty cool to have campfire flames dancing around behind the apps. Another reason to jailbreak!

7. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

I tried the live wallpapers on my 2G Touch, it was a terrible move. Quite the CPU hog as stated above.

8. No ice please macrumors 6502

I use a nexus live wallpaper on my iPhone. I haven't really noticed anything. Then again I don't multitask or have thousand of widgets and junk running at once.

9. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I'm looking forward to the day when I can turn my home screen into my 1998 Geocities homepage, dancing hamsters and all. And bring on the Windows Pocket PC skins! VIVA LA IPAQ!

10. walangij macrumors 6502

Live wallpapers on recent Android phones with similar processing power as the iPhone 4 don't lag or tax the phone in my experience. For one though, battery life with live wallpapers is good, almost as good as a static wallpaper.

I didn't notice any difference in a normal day when I had live wallpapers or a static one. When it is included in iOS, I bet most people who dog on it now will use it occasionally, and everyone else will welcome the option to choose. Developers will probably love it.

11. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

They greatly impact the battery. Check the "battery usage" on your Android phone. My love wallpaper (when I used it) was often responsible for 10% of my battery.

12. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I used the waving grass one when I had a nexus one and it hardly used any battery at all. Maybe an extra 2-3% at most.

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i think it would be pretty cool, esp for a clock or some sort - leave the backlight on as minimal as possible so you can see it. use the motion sensor to display the clock or something when you pull at a certain angle.

i like the campfire idea :)

14. Savor Suspended

Savor

I remember the video wallpapers was a battery hog. Remember the iFortner Dance Girl and the Screen Clean Girls from the Installer days? The vWallpaper app with the video ringtones were cool to use too.

I used an animated aquarium background homescreen and also the Christmas lights via Winterboard for a bit, but the novelty does wear off. I wouldn't mind live wallpapers, but I wouldn't be all that impressed with it for too long. Like what FaceTime is to others. Video calling? Whoop de doo! Live wallpapers is just useless customization. More eye candy than practical. But would I still want the option? Sure. Is it a NEED? Not really.

15. walangij macrumors 6502

I think mileage varies depending on the wallpaper. The zen water wallpaper used 2-3% for all of today. Then again, I don't spend tons of time just @ my home screens. One wallpaper I downloaded did use much more, I think 10-15%. I got my refund for that one. IMO it's just not a big deal, if you think it's using too much battery, then just turn it off. I don't see how iOS could improve on it much more so why not just include it now.