Live YouTube video not available on AppleTV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by kds1, Nov 3, 2013.

1. kds1, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013

kds1 Suspended

kds1

I figured you'd be able to watch the YouTube Music Awards tonight as they are broadcast on YouTube Live on the AppleTV, but apparently not? I figured you would have been able, it only seems natural....

P.S. You can watch live via the YouTube app for iPhone and iPad, but not on AppleTV (unless you use AirPlay)...just doesn't make sense.

2. cynics macrumors G3

I believe Google makes the app for the iPhone and iPad. The AppleTV app (made by Apple I believe) is lacking is quite a few features.

3. priitv8 macrumors 68020

4. cynics macrumors G3

That's not the case here though. Apple won't open Apple TV apps. Any fault with an app itself is on Apple.

Hence why the YouTube app for iOS is light years better. If there were restrictions then 3rd party YouTube apps would be as bad as Apples.

5. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Why couldn't Google's YT app be just like HBO Go or anything similar on aTV??
    These so called "Sites" are all 3rd party aTV apps.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I suppose that's 1 strike to not buy an ATV if you are heavy youtube user.

7. cynics macrumors G3

They are Apple apps using 3rd party services. Ever notice how the UI between all these services looks near identical to one another?

YouTube app is lacking in a lot of functionality that a PC/Mac and iPhone/android phone have. YouTube isn't the only service lacking comparatively speaking.

I'm glad we have the service at all. Plus the loading, buffering and quality is really top notch in my experience.

----------

Depending on your other options. I don't think Roku even offers an app (I might be wrong).

Google may not have any interest in making apps for these devices. And if that's the case then I'm thankful Apple does even if it is lacking in some features. Something's better then nothing. And like I said the quality is very good I've never had a video freeze and buffer and I'm a heavy YouTube user.