Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MutinyMore

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2012
I know a lot of you are noticing that I'm a new member, but I'm in need of some serious help.. hope some fellow mac diehards can help me out.

Right now my hardware that's behind the problem, 2011 MBP 17 i7, 4GBRAM etc.

NETGEAR ROUTER DUALBAND N.. (previous to the newest model).

I had recently just over 24 hours ago, put up a firewall for the first time in a long time in need for security, after fearing that private investigators have been trying to tamper with my home network..

After tossed up the firewall, I have not been able to access my router whatsoever, now I fear these potential intruders are covering their tracks in my own absence regarding my own security.

Via http://www.routerlogin.com off my MBP, this is the first time this has ever happened, ever. I get a ton of assorted DDoS attacks, which to me seems like Spam for MAC Address spoofing, though I am at the "vulnerable" peak pushing 3-500 MILLION packets exchanging over activity monitor..

I NEED YOUR HELP! 24 Years old, happened when I was 22, I can't let these guys get away with this class 1 cyber felony, cyber home invasion as they pretend to "surveil" me to authenticate the legitimacy of my claim, after having to drop out of college twice, going through surgeries, with no money, basically ruined my life, and now like I said, I'm pretty sure they're onto the fact that I'm onto them, and they're attempting to cover their tracks to avoid a bad faith case.

Please for the lover of something greater, SOMEONE HELP!

MutinyMore

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2012
What is your problem exactly?

I fear that someone is doing a really good job at getting into my network, I keep a LOT of vital information regarding my personal injury case on it, so it makes complete sense that my computer has become a target of significant interest pertinent to my case.

That being said, in Illinois, they've made it extremely hard to survive a case even if you're totally victimized by a landslide..

I fear that I am not able to get back into my router via - the "Link" I posted, because it's a NETGEAR/APPLE Configuration. I just put a firewall up for the first time on my laptop, thought that it was the problem, but even in Stealth mode and toggling my firewall on and off, I still can't access my own router settings to change the admin pw or anything like that.

I fear that whoever has done this, is in the process of covering up their tracks, because like I've already stated, I'm sure they're onto the fact that I'm onto them, how do I get by all the MAC/IP address filtering to 100% identify someone hacking into my home network?

I was advised by my attorney to keep a day to day journal, explaining the injuries, how it's impacted my life and all that stuff, but instead of doing it the old fashioned way by hand, I had just decided to e-mail myself back and forth per-day entries. Also, I am noticing wirelessly, images off my iPhone being removed without me doing so, no back ups, no deletions, just went to go get a useful piece of evidence that I had stored on my phone today, and it was missing, I also fear that my e-mails have been compromised (one has/confirmed already) thus altering my journal entries regarding consortium etc.

Seriously, 200-500+ Million packets in and 2-300 Million out, DDoS of all sorts, MAC/IP address configurations I do not recognize..

I have not felt this lost in a long time..

How can I prevent anyone who may already have gotten into my network, or may currently be in it, from changing anything or from covering their tracks.... Even if I can't get into it?

EDIT: at one point while running Maya and Photoshop, somehow I think, not sure even to this day, I took a video of it off my phone, someone got into my computer, and started texturing geometry like a fiend..

I just sat back with my jaw on the floor, as I watched whoever this person was, controlling my computer and Maya 3D application..

It was a torrent file, so it makes sense that that particular instance was due to a root of some sort. Thought I should note that down to make for a good differential regarding me getting hacked like a boss.

Last edited:

MutinyMore

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2012
Um, reset your router and put a password on it...what's so freaking hard to figure out?

If I reset everything, than the most current and relevant router logs will be gone, even if someone is using proxies or anything to mask their true MAC Address or IP, It's still detectable the old fashioned way of filtering MACs/IPs out via their mac address and hardware matching, and spoofed IP addresses designed to closely resemble my home networks'.

I don't want them getting away with this, so if I reset everything, I lose fresh raw router logs with possible leads..

Catching on yet anyone?
BTW, I too am a big house watcher, so please help me out!

MutinyMore

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2012
Though, with that much activity on my WiFi network, 500+ Million packet exchange, like 4-5 different types DDoS attacks (like 50 per log set) registered with MAC/IPs listed & I can't get back into my router, am I really being paranoid?

Last edited by a moderator:

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
Maybe, maybe not. But, do you have physical access to the router? If so, then just "stick a paper clip in it" and reset the dang thing. Find better, more secure passwords, and keep,everything locked down. Make lots of backups. Especially critical documents. "Save early, save often".

Take screenshots/save the logs, document everything.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I would also strongly suggest turning off the wifi and the critical stuff keep in an off line back up. Only access that back up with a computer that is also off line when you pull from it.

By off line I mean physically disconnect from the Internet. This means wifi turned off and no ethernet cord plugged it.
It is impossible to remotely access a closed system.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Good grief.

Unplug the router. Leave it unplugged for 30 seconds.

Plug it back in.

Set it up with an access control list. enable only your physical computer.

Sit next to it with a big stick.

Wait for the P.I to break into your house then bash him over the head.

Call Police.

end of story.

Slinkwyde

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2012
Set it up with an access control list. enable only your physical computer.

If by that you mean use MAC address filtering, then MAC addresses are easily detected and spoofed using freely available software. A much better approach is to use WPA2 with a strong password.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Dunno. I read the original post a couple of times. I'm guessing torrented software from an unreliable source and backdoored his entire world. Either that or it's a tinfoil + head thing.

I don't see a PI for an insurance company doing this. They'd be the opposite of obvious, just sit back and watch. I'm in IT, I've laid enough user traps. If you're looking for info you're not blocking access and deleting files.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
I keep a LOT of vital information regarding my personal injury case on it, so it makes complete sense that my computer has become a target of significant interest pertinent to my case.

If the information is really that valuable to you, disconnect the machine it's on from the internet entirely. Air gaps are hard to jump from a remote location.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Turn the wireless off completely and connect via ethernet.

Back up all your important files to some external media.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
OP if you're concerned about people accessing your data remotely, the only way to fully protect this is to back the data up onto DVD, or an external hard and then disconnect that hard drive from the computer (or store the DVDs somewhere safe.

It appears the other solutions provided in this thread are not satisfactory to you and so the only option is to remove the data from your computer altogether.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
MOD NOTE: If posts are deleted from the thread it is because we have deemed them to violate a rule or incite others to violate a rule. For example ad hominem attacks (insults, name-calling) on any MR user will be removed along with posts that quote or are otherwise related to it.

Furthermore, discussion of specific moderator actions is off topic for any thread and will also be dealt with appropriately.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.