Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
I'm running Final Cut Studio, and for a video I'm currently working on I needed some fancy titles. I went to open LiveType, the splash screen came up, the program loaded for a fraction of a second, and then immediately closed. Motion does the same thing.

I tried finding the crash log (under both the Macintosh HD and home directory libraries) - but there weren't any crash logs for either Motion or LiveType!

Repairing permissions didn't help either. Short of reinstalling Final Cut Studio, does anyone have any ideas as to how I might be able to fix the problem?

Thanks in advance!

geeman

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2001
At My Mac
Try deleting the pref files for ALL FCP apps. There's a utility called FCP Rescue (you can find it HERE) that keeps your FCP prefs so that you don't have to reconfigure everything again.

It seems to be very easy to corrupt FCP with a bad pref file. I'm guessing that LiveType, Motion, etc. are equally fragile.

If this doesn't work, then I think you need to reinstall everything :( . Make sure that you remove any trace of the existing apps before reinstalling.

HTH

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
geeman said:
Try deleting the pref files for ALL FCP apps. There's a utility called FCP Rescue (you can find it HERE) that keeps your FCP prefs so that you don't have to reconfigure everything again.

It seems to be very easy to corrupt FCP with a bad pref file. I'm guessing that LiveType, Motion, etc. are equally fragile.

If this doesn't work, then I think you need to reinstall everything :( . Make sure that you remove any trace of the existing apps before reinstalling.

HTH

Thanks for the advice! I'll try that when I get in to my office today, and I'll let you know how it goes!

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
Here's the update:

I finally found time to uninstall and reinstall Final Cut Studio. Unfortunately, it didn't fix the problem (and now Compressor won't work either. :()

Does anyone have any other ideas, short of reformatting and reinstalling everything? Thanks in advance if you do!

EDIT: After all that, running software update seems to have done the trick. I thought I already tried that, buy I guess not - I ran Software Update and now everything's working. (Knock on wood.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.