Livid!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DotCom2, Jun 21, 2010.

1. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

I am totally livid right now!
    I ordered my iPad on May 28th and did not receive it until June 16th.
    I was under the understanding that as long as you purchased your iPad before June 7th you would still be grandfathered into the unlimited data plan. Well I didn’t want to start it until I left for vacation tomorrow but I did check to see if unlimited was available when I first got it and it was. Well guess what? I just went to sign up for it and it’s GONE! The only choices I have are the stinkin’ 250MB or the 2GB!
    NO UNLIMITED!
    Can they do that?
    Has anyone recently receiving their iPad encounter this as well?
    I don’t know what to do! I need the 3g for my vacation tomorrow and I don’t know if I will have time to call ATT tomorrow before I leave!
    WOE IS ME!
    :mad::mad::mad::mad:

2. sharp65 macrumors 6502

3. Xtgirl macrumors regular

I don't know the answer to your question, but the only thing I can think of to help is to go to an At+t store and ask for a micro sim..maybe the new one will display the unlimited plan cause it's not linked to your account?

4. Tom-Hanks macrumors newbie

First of all calm down, lets think this through. I called att before I ordered my iPad to confirm I would still be eligible, they said yes. Call att and politely explain your sitiuation and how you specially ordered your iPad at a certain time to get the unlimited data plan. Come back and let us know how it went. I'm still waiting for my iPad to arrive and if att does not give me unlimited data, we will start a facebook group and destroy their public rep, if thats even possible, lqtm.

5. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

It is probably because you waited to activate it. Call ATT from your cell phone. Or bring the thing back and exchange it for the wifi model. Only use hotels with free wifi. (like I do, and if reception is crappy, I make em move me).

My wifi only model is stress free. I don't care what ATT does with their data plans.

You really DON'T need it for your vacation tomorrow.

6. beviebev macrumors newbie

Call AT&T cs before they close. Explain your situation calmy. They will give you an 866 number set up specifically for this problem. There might be a bit of a wait but once you're with a CS rep, they will fix the problem. I received my ipad today which I purchased on the 5th. I didn't have the unlimited option but after the steps I mentioned above, I now have it.

7. Tom-Hanks macrumors newbie

Call 800-331-0500 and ask for the "iPAD activation department" they will fix it for you. end of discussion.

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Darn! And I was about to post something cool... :cool:

9. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks everyone for trying to help.
    I did call right now and the person I talked to kept trying to tell me that the unlimited data plan is NOT available any longer but she kept refering to my cell phone number account. I had to go over the whole thing with her several times and tell her that my cell phone (Iphone) data plan has nothing to do with the iPad data plan.
    She transfered me to a manager who understood my problem a little better but unfortunetly they said the department that handles that is CLSOED! He did give me the number to call tomorrow so I will do that.
    The number he gave me FYI is 866-640-5125.
    I hope that's the right number and I don't get a run around tomorrow which is all I need to start my vacation!
    I will post back tomorrow if I can.
    THANKS AGAIN PPL!

10. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68040

beviebev:
    How exactly did they fix it if I might ask?

11. beviebev macrumors newbie

They asked for my IMEI number then basically walked me through the activation process. I was asked to create an account, choose the 2GB plan, input my credit card and billing info, agree to the terms and activate. Once that was done, I was given a cellular data phone number. The CS rep asked for that number and from there made the change from the 2GB plan to the unlimited plan for 29.99.

Pretty painless. I'm pretty sure if you call early enough, you wouldn't have to wait an hour on hold like I did this afternoon.

12. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68040

Thank you sooooooooooooooooo much!
    I feel so much better now.

13. beviebev macrumors newbie

You're welcome! :)

14. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

Let us know how it works out.

(Ordered mine on June 1. Got it June 16 and immediately activated the unlimited plan)

15. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68040

OK I will.

You were smart to do that!

16. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68040

OK guys, I called this morning and was on hold for 2 hours.
    Not all their fault though since after 30 minutes I accidently hung up! OUCH!
    So I called back and was on hold for almost and hour and a half.
    Anyway, the process only took about 5 minutes as bevibev said above and it was exactly as beviebev stated. I had to first sign up for the 2GB plan and go through that process. Only problem is though she said it would take up to 10 days to actually go through!!! She said this was by Apple's request.
    hmmm
    This might be a problem for me since I said I was going on vacation and I might use more than that, and she said to just keep checking my usage. Well I know that, but that was the purpose of getting the unlimited in the first place but I guess at least i'm in the loop so I'll just take what I can get for now. But MAN...what a BUMMER!
    She gave me some support numbers to call in case I had problem which if I get close to the 2GB limit I may indeed have since I am leaving for 10 entire days, but I'll deal with that later.
    Anyway, off to my vaca and good luck to everyone else who might encounter this.
    And again, thanks beviebev:)

17. CarboysDesire macrumors 6502a

CarboysDesire

No offense, but that is horrible advice. Letting a gadget determine where you will and won't stay and then possibly having to waste time switching rooms once you get there, inconveniencing not only yourself but those you may be traveling with and the hotel workers, too? So worth the extra cost of 3G to never have those issues!!! A wise business mentor once told me that you NEVER, EVER let your systems dictate how to run your business. I believe that is good advice for life, too.

To the OP, call ATT and explain the situation and you'll be fine. You don't have to call before you go. You can sign up for the service anywhere you get a 3G signal. You don't have to be on a wifi.

18. drknowusa macrumors regular

So the iPad I ordered June 5 arrived today, having been stuck in Shenzen for four days, and there is no unlimited data option. Apple promised it would be available for iPads ordered from the Apple Store by June 6. So I called Apple, and was told AT&T removed the option on June 21, and the "cure" is to call 866 640-5125. So here I am, an hour and 15 minutes later, on hold for the "next available representative, listening to a circular tape of awful music. I doubt there is there more deplorable customer service anywhere. Can we bill AT&T for the time we waste?

19. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

so they essentially provide up to June 7 orders just 14 days to activate unlimited.

20. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Do you tolerate substandard employees ? Why tolerate a substandard hotel room. This is 2010. Not having free wifi in a hotel is inexcusable. So I let a hotel dictate my systems ? To the tune of $360 a year ? I find having wifi in hotels is more the norm than not. I have only had to switch rooms one time. When the clerk initally balked, i just told him I was going to check out the hotel across the steet. Problem solved. A successful business venture for both larties.

The dude is freaking out over a device.

21. drknowusa macrumors regular

OK, tried to call earlier this evening and after 1 hour 45 minutes on hold was cut off. So I tried again and it's now 1:11 with no human response. Bet AT&T wouldn't hold that long for me if they were calling about their bill

They are deliberately making this hard for people. That's not the Apple experience for which we willingly pay a premium. It's arrogance, pure and simple.

Anyone know of another way to get the data plan fixed besides this blasted 866 "hotline"?

22. twitchgreen macrumors newbie

I was on hold for 2.5 hours until I was disconnected. Nice!

23. drknowusa macrumors regular

I don't know the hours this call center keeps, but after almost two hours I gave up listening to their horrid music and then called back to hear that they were closed. So their system will leave us on a deadened circuit forever. The recording does not saynwhatbtheir hours are so there is no way to know when might be the right time to try to call them. Bad service is obviously their intent.

24. forecheck macrumors newbie

I called at 5pm Pacific and was on hold until 7:20 when a message came on saying they couldn't take my call right now, and to call back later. This was after being on hold for 4 hours this morning before being disconnected. Unbelievable customer service!

25. Maxington macrumors 6502

Orded iPad on June 5th got it June 23rd. Talked to one AT&T rep who confirmed via my IMEI number and told me I could get the unlimited plan.

They make you sign up for the $25 plan and will later upgrade you

...however after I spoke to one CSR I was on hold for nearly 1.5 hours and then was disconnected. This system is a piece of work and I was as others pissed off.