Living nightmare iMac 27inch dusty macs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Kevmos27, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Kevmos27, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2011

Kevmos27 macrumors newbie

Really don't know where to start with this but hear goes,
    I purchased an iMac 27inch 2.7 ghz at the end of June since then I have not seen my mac, I have had 5 iMacs, all with dust in the and cosmetic damage,
    the first I mac I had came with a defective hard drive I was reluctant to. Have it repaired but went ahead and it came back from the the repair centre with a with dust and cosmetic scratches so far I have had 5 macs and the fith one still has dust particle in it so far I have endured

5 macs
    10 couriers drop offs and collections
    Over 100 hours on the phone to apple
    8 visits to the repair centre
    8 weeks without a computer which I need for the work I do

I have asked exc customer re atoms for compensation they have refused, point blank, saying they have upgraded it to the higher spec model,(they did this due to the fact I had four faulty defective ones) I never asked for an upgraded model

Have sent a fax direct to the CEO of apple and it keeps getting passed down to the cork office, I don't want a response from the cork office, I have sent further faxes to the USA fao of the CEO and still they get passed to the cork office I have asked for at least 50 percent of compensation for everything I have endured, and this one member of the exc relations refuses point blank to offer anything I just want them to compromise but they refuse, so my next step is BBC watchdog and to other establishments such as trading standards, I wish I never brought this dusty mac, I never wanted one with White dust particles in it, so I'm no where resolved with this matter as far as they are concerned the matter is closed, but far from it I won't let this drop,

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions please leave a message
    Thank you

Does anyone have the CEO apple head office address as I will be writing a letter direct, as my faxes just seam to get passed back to the cork office

Disgusted apple customer

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Cosmetic damage is not faulty hardware. I don't care what company makes the computer or how much you paid for it. Its a computer. It isn't like its a replacement artificial body part.

3. charlielowndes macrumors newbie

Reject as unfit for purpose

Simple really. Reject it.

I have a letter that you can use, which I used successfully to obtain a repair on my out of guarantee MacPro, that was written by my Solicitor niece. (Very handy).

Apple USA then phoned me and settled. I was very surprised as my MacPro was nearly 3 years old, but had been repaired in its first 12 months, and that was all I needed to get it repaired. If I were you though I would flat out reject it for a new on or money back.

----------

Erm. You are wrong, he bought it in June. it should be fit for purpose and undamaged, Unless he bought it with money off knowing it was cosmetically damaged.

4. Kevmos27 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Charlie
    I have the apple warranty can you email me your lawyers letter which I can use and do you have the head office address or tim cooks dept address, I'm so annoyed

5. jlluna macrumors 6502

Do you know you have 2 post in 2 different sections about this matter? Well i am very surprised that apple has failed you so many times. What kind of compensation do you want? I would of just returned the mac and got my money back.

6. Kevmos27 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes intelligent your WRONG would you spend 1700 gbp and would want dust in it NO u wouldn't

Plus it's new

7. Kasalic macrumors regular

Sorry to hear you are not happy. Would be better if we had some pictures, you did of course photograph all the iMac's you have had issues with? Also 100 hours on the phone for 5 returns, that's 20 hours each on average? I assume you have the phone bills to back this up as I'm sure that Apple will want to see them?

Not sure what else I can suggest, in my experience a visit to a proper Apple store, not a concession or Authorised Reseller, should normally get it sorted straight away.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Apple's warranty does not cover cosmetic damage. Thus, they are under no obligation to fix it.

9. Kevmos27 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I have all evidence I brought it from pc world but apple have took ownership of it, they even upgraded it when I never asked to have it upgraded, so they assume because they have upgraded that's the compensation I think not

----------

It's not cosmetic damage it's defective it has dust inside the screen, plus it's 8 weeks old

----------

They are refusing point blank no more replacements, no compensation I want at least 50 percent but they are not giving anything,

Sorry I posted in to different forums was not sure which one would be best

10. StephenAcworth macrumors member

Two threads - one complaint?

So why the two threads?

Disgusted with Apple and Living Nightmare

Whilst I sympathize with your situation, I am interested to know why you felt strong enough to write two threads of complaint.

I would have taken No. 1 back to a store and got a replacement that I would have checked out in the store before accepting it.
    That way you KNOW what you are getting...

to do otherwise FIVE times is strange... particularly when you claim you need the machine for work.

My work equipment always gets scratched etc when it is in use so I don't get too upset: if it was scratched when it was brand new, then I would be a little annoyed...

11. Kevmos27 thread starter macrumors newbie

Stepehn if you read my previous post I apologised for posting twice in two forums did you not bother to read the full post?..
    1 mac the defective hard drive apple would not replace because it was a common fault with the new models sent out earlier this June
    So I did no want it repaired I wanted it replace but they wouldn't do a straight exchange period!

12. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

You seriously didn't want them to repair your perfectly good machine, you asked for a direct exchange? And you're mad that they wouldn't do this? LOL!

It's convenient how you left this little nugget of awesomeness out of your OP.

Way to go.

Fail.:rolleyes:

13. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Why not;

A) ask for a refund.

B) be done with it.

14. Kevmos27 thread starter macrumors newbie

What

----------

Have asked for a refund they refuse.. Don't u just love apple not

15. StephenAcworth macrumors member

Synchronicity

Sometimes two people post at the same time so you end up with a liitle lag: I don't think it is fair to accuse me of not bothering to read your post when I was offering some advice based on my 30 years experience of Apple and their customer service.

It would also help if you put all the facts in your original post. For example, you bought the first machine at PC World. From a legal perspective this is not the same as buying it from Apple. Your legal rights are contractually with PC World (lucky you).

So please don't piss on Apple when perhaps you have done things in the transaction chain that compromise their actions.

And please don't be so rude to someone who tries to help out by sharing their experience: you posted originally to get some help/advice. A little disingenuous to be quite so rude.

16. Beanoir macrumors 6502a

Beanoir

Thats not entirely correct, legal recourse is also to the manufacturer who offer their manufacturers warranty.

To the OP, i'd insist on a refund thats you're only avenue where you'd have support of the legal system.

You don't deserve compensation, as they've fixed and replaced your machine. Compensation is payment to reconpence any financial loss you've incurred, Apple are quite right that the upgrade would cover compensation for the hassle you've had to endure and you've accepted that compensation (offer and acceptance). Anything over and above that i.e. you're after cash bascially, would need to be on the basis that you've been put out of pocket through loss of earnings or something of that nature. I doubt you can prove that, so I think you're flogging a dead horse with the compensation idea.

17. nufanec macrumors regular

Actually, no. Your contract is with the vendor, not the manufacturer (in the UK at least).

18. Beanoir macrumors 6502a

Beanoir

Yes it is. Your first recourse is as the Consumer Rights Act states, to the Trader, I never disagreed with that hence why I said "also" in my last post.

You "also" have recourse to the manufacturer who provide the guarantee for the product. The hint here is it's normally called a Manufacturers Guarantee...

What happened if the trader went bust? Of course you have recourse to the manufacturer, its ridiculous to say you would't have.

Do your homework before you make silly accusations next time.

19. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

You had to spread your OCD to two different forums? Really!?. You want to experience a "living nightmare"? I have plenty of travel destinations for you to visit...

20. EvenStranger macrumors member

After spending three years working as an Apple technician, I agree the dust issue with iMacs is frustrating, both for the technician and the customer. The void between the glass and LCD is not sealed. Apple technicians do their best to prevent dust from being left behind, but they don't have a dust-free environment to work in, and removing dust and particulate matter is only a best attempt. In addition, since the area between the glass and screen is not sealed, air can leak in from the case and has the potential to leave particulate matter behind on its own. I've seen this often where an iMac is used in the home of a smoker, and cigarette residue builds up on the inside of the glass.

I can't answer to the cosmetic scratches. If a technician gouged the bezel with a screwdriver, then the bezel should be replaced. If the foot has scratches on it where the computer was handled roughly, same thing. That's going to require discussing with the technician or providing pictures to a representative to Apple for determination.

I wish you the best of luck in receiving whatever resolution you desire. Apple's Customer Relations does their best to resolve these issues satisfactorily, and I urge you to be patient, polite, but firm and consistent with them in your expectations.

21. Kevmos27 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sir customer service expert Stephen your WRONG again legally the ownership is with apple cause they took direct ownership by upgrading it when I never asked for an upgrade they did this because I had so many defective ones OK

And I did say I brought it from pc world but apple took over by exchanging it for a higher spec, so the ownership is with them

----------

It's with the manufacturer as they have took ownership on the previous exchanges

22. basher macrumors 6502

basher

If they took ownership, then you should return their computer.

I recommend boxing it up and shipping it to them before the authorities show up on your doorstep, since you have their computer.

23. Beanoir macrumors 6502a

Beanoir

I think he means ownership of the problem, not the hardware.:rolleyes: