Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
In january of next year I'll be traveling to japan, where I'll be living there for six months. During this time I'll be doing the ESL things teaching English at a high school. I've done this before a fe years ago and am super excited.

Back then however, I had my original white MacBook with me..where I'd carry it with me every morning as a taxi or bus would pick me up to go to the high school. The caveat of having the white MacBook on me was being able to connect it to the monitors in my classroom where I would go online and do some of my teaching through the MacBook, allowing me to sit down and let my finger do all the work, moving around the mouse. As well as being connected to the Internet in my apartment in japan, surfing the web and video chatting with family back home.

The possibility of having an iPad only out there is both exciting and scary. Obviously it doesn't have facetime, nor is there iPad/iPod/iPhone to MacBook face time compatibility yet either.

I googled an interesting app called Display Out for the iPad that turns a monitors view exactly to what I see holding me iPad, including the orientation I'm holding the device in. This seems so cool considering I'd be able to connect the ipad to my classroom setting, the kids would be able to see what I'm doing on my iPad and all I'd have to do is open up a whiteboard app and write away using my finger or a stylus.

Perhaps the answer is obvious that if it were a one week trip then I could live off the iPad, but a whole six months is something of a really long time. Iono. Jst thought I'd come here and start an obvious thread perhaps on a lazy satruday morning.

Cheers!

Hear Hear!

(I'm never up this early)

*plus, I'm taking my flip to record video while I'm out there to upload to YouTube and share with family back home in California. :eek::(:mad::rolleyes:;) emotions.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
You need a computer (OS X, XP, Vista or 7) to do restore, in case something goes wrong. Will Apple Japan let you do this in their store? Don't know.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
You need a computer (OS X, XP, Vista or 7) to do restore, in case something goes wrong. Will Apple Japan let you do this in their store? Don't know.

Arrhh.. and even then i wouldn't get all my files back ...such as movies .

My MBP has a 3hr battery life, 2009 model...while the iPad would last the whole flight from LA to Tokyo.

Laimbeersux

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2010
I have both...

its just a matter of which one I want to live on for 6 months when I'm living abroad.

Take them both, MBP for restores/syncs like the previous poster said, skype and any kind of actual writing you need to do, and the iPad for teaching/general lounging. Leave the MBP in your apartment for the day. If that video out app works, it sounds like you could satisfy your teaching needs with the iPad. I think you'd miss the mbp personally.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
I have both...

its just a matter of which one I want to live on for 6 months when I'm living abroad.

No, it isn't. An iPad cannot replace a notebook. End of story. If you're on the road for half a year and have to make an either/or decision, the notebook is the only feasible choice.

Remember what Steve Jobs himself said back in 2003? Tablets are great for "a bunch of rich guys who want to have a third computer."

http://gizmodo.com/5555895/steve-jobs-2003-trashing-steve-jobs-2010

bigddybn

macrumors member
May 5, 2010
Why can't you just bring both? I like the ipad as much as the next guy but I don't pretend it's a replacement for even a basic laptop. If I have to pick one for that long the laptop wins every single time by a longshot.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
Take both. you can use the iPad on your flight, don't bother taking the macbook everywhere with you, unless you are worried about security where you'll be staying.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Hmm.

I didn't think i'd be coming to a conclusion this soon but I think I just may take the MBP. the white Macbook did work wonders for me out there..but this time around i'll have a backlit screen!

lol.

Hmm.

Yeah. Guess you guys are right.

I'm glad I asked; I got great responses quick.

thanks everyone.:)

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
Just to add another side to the discussion, I've been using my iPad as my sole and only computer for the last 4 months and I've survived very well, even though I am a bit of a power user in many regards. The one thing I've found that could make your trip impossible is if you want to video chat with anyone. Otherwise I don't personally see how it wouldn't be able to do everything you need on a daily basis, from writing documents, creating presentations, handling files (make sure to buy a browser like iCab that lets you download files and open them in other apps), and image editing. You'll also definitely want the camera kit so you can upload photos to it, and if you want, you could also get a Bluetooth keyboard.

There are three things I'd say you definitely can't use an iPad for: high end graphic design, 3D modeling/rendering, and the aforementioned video chatting.

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
Dude, I'm not going to lie to you, but taking both is the smart move - you will be able to review notes etc. more easily on the iPad when commuting, but you will still need a laptop for more involved tasks.

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
Definitely take both, keep the MBP at your apartment in Japan while you take the iPad out and about, to school and what not. It isn't like you're going on a long trek in the middle of nowhere, and weight is an issue. Having a MBP there is much more versatile and sort of an insurance policy. I take both my mbp and iPad with me on trips. iPad for the plane ride, down time, or note taking in meetings (with an iGo BT keyboard), and MBP for everything else when I'm back at the hotel. I find it much easier and more comfortable to use a laptop on my lap or on the table for longer periods of time.

Have fun in Tokyo! I was there 4 years ago, and I was in Sapporo last year. Beautiful cities!

matthews

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
I lived off my iPad for about a month while in Spain, and for the most part there weren't any real issues.

There were a few attachments I was unable to open that people had sent me via email, and a few cases where people tried to send me zipped files, and I had to request they re-send the files to me one at a time (which really makes people hate you).

Other than those kind of things, it works out pretty well.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
I lived off my iPad for about a month while in Spain, and for the most part there weren't any real issues.

There were a few attachments I was unable to open that people had sent me via email, and a few cases where people tried to send me zipped files, and I had to request they re-send the files to me one at a time (which really makes people hate you).

Other than those kind of things, it works out pretty well.

You can unzip using Goodreader :)

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
You can unzip using Goodreader :)

A lot of people don't realize you can actually do quite a lot on an iPad. Never underestimate what can be found on the App store.

As an example, the iCab browser let me download a file from a website — it was a .rar file so I chose to open it in an app that allows you to unrar and unzip files, after which I moved the freshly unrar'd .xvid to my video player app of choice and watched the video. — All done within my iPad. A few steps involved but overall still easily manageable and will undoubtedly get easier as iOS evolves.

nalk7

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
You can totally pull it off. My MacBook pro was broken through all my summer so I had to use the iPad as my main computer for 4 months. It takes a bit of getting used to, but is totally doable. When I got my computer back I became a firm believer that devices like the iPad will soon rule the computer market.

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
I have both an iPad and MacBook Pro. I travel internationally for work, and find the iPad compelling but too bulky and heavy to bring along. This is why I'm very eager to see a 7" iPad.. It's smaller form factor and weight will make it a perfect compliment to ones laptop.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
You can totally pull it off. My MacBook pro was broken through all my summer so I had to use the iPad as my main computer for 4 months. It takes a bit of getting used to, but is totally doable. When I got my computer back I became a firm believer that devices like the iPad will soon rule the computer market.

Thanks for all the responses.

I know I can comfortably live off the iPad alone...however while living abroad two of the main things i'd like to do just wouldn't work with the iPad.

Video Chat

&

Uploading videos filmed from my Flip Mino HD

Essentially both of these features involve presenting myself to friends and family back home that the iPad can't do just yet. Perhaps the 2nd Gen will support Facetime, but doubt it'll let me upload, sync, edit and then sync to Youtube a 2GB movie every other day.

It's a great device that I use more than my MBP here in the U.S. however while abroad I may just need the the MBP.

However I've recently been wrestling with the idea of taking both.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
However I've recently been wrestling with the idea of taking both.

Not quite sure why this isn't a no-brainer. Take both. It's not like the iPad will add significant weight to your luggage, and sure, Japanese apartments can be tiny, but it's not like the iPad takes too much space. Having it with you means you always have the option of leaving your MacBook at home or at the office and take only the iPad on the go when appropriate. If you leave your iPad in the US, you'll have to lug your MacBook everywhere with you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.