Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 5, 2007
UK™
Well it's been almost a month now, and apart from getting used to OS X after several years using windows, ive still got a big grin, how much fun can be had with widgets alone? I'm running photoshop CS2 & CS3 and the speed to open and save images compared to the old pc is incredible,
& on delivery, the look on the UPS guys face was a picture (he was pretty small) "it's pretty heavy mate" he said, ha ha so far it's been a blast, but there was one thing that ive not figured out yet, where do i put the 2 white apple transfers that came with the MP?

Let the good times roll....... :D

tribe3

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2005
Vienna, VA - USA
Well it's been almost a month now, and apart from getting used to OS X after several years using windows, ive still got a big grin, how much fun can be had with widgets alone? I'm running photoshop CS2 & CS3 and the speed to open and save images compared to the old pc is incredible,
& on delivery, the look on the UPS guys face was a picture (he was pretty small) "it's pretty heavy mate" he said, ha ha so far it's been a blast, but there was one thing that ive not figured out yet, where do i put the 2 white apple transfers that came with the MP?

Let the good times roll....... :D

Mac Pro should come with a clear polycarbonate side cover. It's a work of art worthy of been looked at all the time:p

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
but there was one thing that ive not figured out yet, where do i put the 2 white apple transfers that came with the MP?

Use them as templates for tatoos.

I'm glad you're loving your MP. I've got a nearly identical machine to yours actually, a Mac Pro 2.66Ghz, 4GB RAM, 1.65TB HDD, 2x7300GT (SLI). I'm loving every minute of it too, its simply a dream!!

ironic23

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
Use them as templates for tatoos.

I'm glad you're loving your MP. I've got a nearly identical machine to yours actually, a Mac Pro 2.66Ghz, 4GB RAM, 1.65TB HDD, 2x7300GT (SLI). I'm loving every minute of it too, its simply a dream!!

How did you get your cards in SLI mode? I thought MPs didn't have that option on the motherboard?

Kosh66

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2004
Put it on the rear window of your car or the side windows ;)

While I'm an Apple fan, I would be hesitant to put this on your car or house as it would paint a target on that item to be broken into.

ironic23 said:
How did you get your cards in SLI mode? I thought MPs didn't have that option on the motherboard?

SLI mode is available and works in Windows only on a Mac Pro with 2 8x PCI-e lanes. It is not available in MacOS X.

Tangerine

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2007
While I'm an Apple fan, I would be hesitant to put this on your car or house as it would paint a target on that item to be broken into.

SLI mode is available and works in Windows only on a Mac Pro with 2 8x PCI-e lanes. It is not available in MacOS X.

How did you put 2 Graphic Card in the Mac Pro without having Mac OS X having it hiccup?

Og Oggilby

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2005
Boston Area
I know how you feel about switching from a PC to the MacPro. I just got mine yesterday and installed 3rd party ram this morning. Opening the side cover and seeing how clean and well thought out the inside of the case is just puts a smile on your face! Adding the ram is so fast and easy. It isn't that hard to do on a PC - it's a breeze on the Mac.

One very interesting side note... the ram that I added was from Crucial. When I installed the ram I noticed that the Crucial sticker on top of the heat sink looked like it would fall off so I removed it. There was a sticker under it that matched the sticker on the ram that came with the MacPro exactly, right down to the logo on it.

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
I've had my Mac Pro for almost a week now and feel exactly the same way. I first switched to Macs over a year ago when I got myself a MacBook Pro (I preordered one immediately after the keynote in January.. got it last February). I had never used OS X outside of a few minutes of tinkering in an Apple store, but within half an hour or so of using it when my MBP arrived, I knew I wouldn't be going back to Windows. It was very easy to find everything, and not only can I now get more accomplished on a Mac quicker than I could on Windows, but just using the computer feels "fun" instead of just an everyday boring thing.

Back to my Mac Pro, though, it's a fantastic upgrade over my MBP. I work from home and like having a lot of desktop space, in addition to computing power (I was regularly bringing my 2GHz Core Duo MBP with 2GB RAM to a crawl).
I got my Mac Pro built as a 3GHz octo core, 1GB RAM, 250GB hard drive, and dual 7300 video cards. I later added another 4GB of third party RAM (saved nearly $400 in comparison to what Apple wanted to charge and the RAM looks identical). I'll also be putting in more hard drives myself to save money. I now have it arranged with three 24" Dell LCDs (hey, I actually like them better than the Apple displays, plus they're cheaper) and it's a fantastic setup. I'm loving it.

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 5, 2007
UK™
I Agree with father Jack's comment totally, the Mac pro really is the Dogs conkers, and the idea of a see through side cover, now thats a very good idea, i would defo invest in one, the MP's internals are a work of art, would i consider going back to windows...........NO :D
I did toy with the idea of running windows via paralles, but that idea's long gone, The most amusing thing ive found so far, is playing with the whoopee cushion widget, thats just great, brings out the inner child :)
As yet ive not come across anyone thats regretted changing to a mac, plus there are a heck of a lot of users on here that offer some really good helpful advice, very friendly community, great to be part of it ;)

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
I did toy with the idea of running windows via paralles, but that idea's long gone
Yeah, when I first got my MacBook Pro, I installed BootCamp and put Windows on there just in case I did in fact need it (mainly if anything arose for school, since I was in college at the time). I found that I only booted into Windows maybe all of 2 or 3 times and that was just because I could... when I did, I didn't do anything more than maybe go check my email or something, but then quickly reboot back into OS X. I also later installed Parallels when that came out to play with. Coherence mode is amazing, but it's a novelty that has no real use to me, so I never touch it anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.