living with two laptops

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sinser, Dec 13, 2008.

1. sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

I have a MPB 2.5 Ghz and PowerBook G4 1.25 Ghz. I wonder if someone else has something similar, if he/she uses both, why and how.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i dont quite get the point of this thread

people buy computers if they need them

some upgrade to newer laptops and hold onto the older one for a secondary computers. the uses are endless:cool:

3. sinser thread starter macrumors 6502a

sinser

I know, I know, I even feel a bit guilty about the purchase of the MBP. The thing is that I couldn't resist the recent price drop on the classic MBP, was completely let down by the new Unibody design and spechs, and that I was damn sure that I could sell the Powerbook for a decent price, but have not been not able to do so :( So I could perfectly live with just the new one, but for the moment have both. However, I understand, maybe the thread is a bit too stupid....

4. stevemiller macrumors 65816

nah don't feel bad. i'm sorta in that boat myself, with a massive g5 desktop that is now less powerful than my laptop.

if you rule out selling it, there are always alternatives like giving it to a less computer savvy relative who wouldn't need the latest in power... or maybe leave it permanently connected to a tv and use it as a media server. or in the same vein, if you have wired connection to a router, you can connect all your external drives/printers/etc to the old computer and then you can print and access all your files on the new system wirelessly from anywhere in the house.

lotsa interesting possibilities!

5. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

That's what I did.

Good ideas. I was thinking too with an old MBP you could also use it at an Apple TV with FrontRow. I guess this is possible too with a PB if you get an external IR transceiver. It could also be used as a webserver, fileserver, etc.

6. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I have three-

late 2007 MBP

2008 Alum MacBook

Dell Latitude D830

The last one is because there a few work functions, that I have not moved entirely over to OS X/Vmware Fusion such as Outlook and a "GTD" plugin

Between the Macs its more about travel and portability, or when I would like a larger Matte screen to work on.

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I have a MacBookPro 2.2 (US) from over a year ago that's used for work. that was replaced with a 2.5 cause it's on sale.. then recently acquired a MacBook (White) 2.1 (JIS) for free!! :) I'm also a owner of a MacPro, G4 Cube and PowerBook 15

8. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

I have two laptops (a MBP and an air) and a handful of desktop macs (a pro and an imac being the ones most used).

I use MobileMe and dropbox to keep them in sync. Results are pretty seamless.

9. prosinader macrumors newbie

I have a few computers my self. The ones I don't use, I give away in my own personal attempt to spread some Apple fever around.

10. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I had a Powerbook 12" 1.25Ghz and a Macbook Pro (still have the pro/sold the powerbook). I used the PB for school and basically my MBP was desktop-laden. All of my important stuff was synced via mobileme and I only had a handful of apps needed on my PB.

But I realized that my MBP wasn't getting enough usage as I commute 4 hours/day and get home pretty late, so besides some heavy weekend usage it sat idle during the week.

11. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

I have a MBP 2.4SR and a like-vintage windows laptop to your G4 powerbook. The windows laptop makes itself useful in the kitchen on the day to day, and when my MBP is otherwise engaged it makes do for browsing and so on. I do want to replace its kitchen duties with a G4 iMac lamp, but deals on the C2D 17in iMacs in the refurb store are very tempting...

12. sinser thread starter macrumors 6502a

sinser

Basically that's what I'm doing. The MBP is a kind of desktop, at work I use a Windows workstation, and since in the evening I'm taking a course I carry the Powerbook with me. I'll also be in the USA in January for work, I live in Europe, and will bring the Powerbook with me.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I live with 5 computers:
    MBP, PB, Thinkpad tablet, 2 desktops… I won't count the servers.

I may have 6 if I get a netbook, though I plan to sell the 2 desktops.

14. MazingerZ macrumors 6502

MazingerZ

On my desk, I have the Unibody MBP, Unibody MB, Macbook Air and a 8gb Hackintosh connected to a 30" and 24" Monitor.

The MBP sits on the left of the 30" and its where Entourage is running. The 30" is where I do my surfing and main work, the 24" inch has my Parallels running and the the MB is where I have Hulu running to watch an occasional tv episode. The MBA only gets used when going to the coffee shop or meetings.

I use 1 keyboard and mouse for all three, using teleport.

15. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Typing on my iBook G4 as my MB Pro is on its way to Apple's 'depot' for repairs. Happy to have a 2nd one to hop onto when needed! And if this one breaks - I'll drag out a nice little G3 iBook!:p

16. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If it were me, I'd give the g4 to my parents so I would quit having to go over to their house every six months to disinfect their windows machine from malware.

17. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

LOL! Tell 'em you 'don't do windows'...:D