Living without Flash

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ipedro, Jul 23, 2011.

1. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

Following Gruber's Going Flash-Free on Mac OS X, and How to Cheat When You Need It, and with Flash slowing my new Lion Mac down to a crawl, I decided to try to live without flash.

I've found that while I can get away from needing flash on an iPad almost entirely, I've encountered several prominent sites that still require it on a Mac.

YouTube will happily serve you HTML5 video but Facebook won't. I use the FB app in iOS so I've never missed Facebook video on an iPad. Is there a way around this?

Still on Facebook, I upload photos routinely as part of my job. Turns out that their photo uploader is flash. Bummer.

CNN's video player is flash. It works on an iPad (HTML5?) but not on a Mac.

Is there a way to have Safari tell websites that it's an iPad by default? I know there's a feature in the developer menu, but it reverts back to Safari for Mac when you open a new tab or window.

Share your stories and workarounds of living without flash. :)

2. rodman109110 macrumors 6502

I am also wondering if there is a way to force html5 content for sites that support it.

Has anyone heard of way to do so?

Thanks

3. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Most sites are going to avoid using HTML5 Video unless the device does not support Flash because it simply doesn't support the things that they need it to (Advertising, Subtitles, Play Tracking etc.).

4. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

ive been blocking flash content via browser plugins for safari, firefox and chrome since i switched to mac in 2008, and i havent once missed it, in fact, ive enjoyed having less trash on screen.

Now i may have just been lucky so far in avoiding sites that need it, either that or the only use for it is Youtube videos and adverts.

I am dreading the day when the advertisers figure out that they need HTML5 adverts to penetrate the iOS market, that will be both the offical death of flash, and the ruination of the mobile browsing experience.

5. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

As above your easiest solution would be to install "Click2Flash" or summin. any issues that pop up its easy to get around :apple: