Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
I need some information on this bumper. There is very little information to be found. I ordered a silver one. It's taking a long time to arrive. I love the way it looks. It seems well padded. It's not a knock off. The finish looks good. It's simple to install. The price is right. I learned all this from pictures and text. I don't like knock offs of American or any other countries designs.

I would like anyone's impression that has one. Of particular importance is it's effect on reception cellular, wifi, GPS and bluetooth. My instinct is that cell and bluetooth would be impacted but because of the price I thought I would try it.

here's a link: http://dx-box.com/ljy-sword-ultra-t...for-apple-iphone-5-with-metal-back-cover.html

There are other stores like WOWcase.

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
When I get mine I'll try to provide a little info and pictures. I own two genuine Sector 5 aluminum cases and I've wanted to try something with a gloss finish. The Sector 5 is mat finish. I'll comment on the signal comparison.

----------

I'm not sure if it's knock off or not, but aconcept sells them and it's at a higher price there then on that website. \

http://www.aconcept.com.sg/shop/

That's almost double the price. It does lead one to believe the cheaper one may be a knock off. I haven't seen an actual manufacturers site. All of the stores I've seen use similar pictures and they're all in China.

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
When I get mine I'll try to provide a little info and pictures. I own two genuine Sector 5 aluminum cases and I've wanted to try something with a gloss finish. The Sector 5 is mat finish. I'll comment on the signal comparison.

----------

That's almost double the price. It does lead one to believe the cheaper one may be a knock off. I haven't seen an actual manufacturers site. All of the stores I've seen use similar pictures and they're all in China.

I'm not sure either, but Aconcept does seem to state they are an official supplier. :/ But the case does look very nice.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Definitely curious on the signal degradation.

Also - is there sufficient rubber/cushioning on the inside of the aluminum where it contacts the phone's cellular band?

Don't want to worsen the scuffing.

kaikai830

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2010

----------

I doubt they have fakes of this case. These are made by a Chinese company. Here's the manufacturer's website..http://ljytech.com/en/products.asp?areaId=316
They're officially sold on Taobao.com by Wei Feng Network for about US$17

Also got this case awhile back, not exactly like the Sword but very similar. I lost LTE with the case on.

Attachments

• IMG_0321.JPG
    IMG_0321.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 339
Last edited:

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
I doubt they have fakes of this case. These are made by a Chinese company. Here's the manufacturer's website..http://ljytech.com/en/products.asp?areaId=316
They're officially sold on Taobao.com by Wei Feng Network for about US$17

Also got this case awhile back, not exactly like the Sword but very similar. I lost LTE with the case on.

Thanks for the info and the site link. Sorry to hear about losing LTE. That's what I was afraid of. The case looks good, do you use it despite the signal loss?

Delta438

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2012
Don't worry, aconcept doesn't sell fakes. Although they were doing a little shameless self-promotion last time, all their products are genuine.

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
Definitely curious on the signal degradation.

Also - is there sufficient rubber/cushioning on the inside of the aluminum where it contacts the phone's cellular band?

Don't want to worsen the scuffing.

The pad appears to have continuous cushion unlike Element and others. It also appears to wrap over the phone's beveled edge.

This picture if accurate shows it.

The price dropped a couple of dollars at http://dx-box.com/ljy-sword-ultra-t...for-apple-iphone-5-with-metal-back-cover.html

Attachments

• LJY cushion.jpg
    LJY cushion.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 245

Enforce

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2012
South East Asia
Don't worry, aconcept doesn't sell fakes. Although they were doing a little shameless self-promotion last time, all their products are genuine.

Hi & thanks for the assurance. ;)

I have to clarify that this is not a self promotion but a fast way to answer the many inquiries received. However during the process, may have broken the forum rules in a way. :cool:

Many of the questions in this thread has been answered in the previous SWORD 5 thread. Kindly perform a simple search. Thanks! :)

Never the less, we are & will continue to answer any of your questions with regards to the Sword 5 to the best of our knowledge! :)

Enforce

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2012
South East Asia
Except I bought from this site at a cheaper price. Will it be genuine from them?
http://dx-box.com/ljy-sword-ultra-t...for-apple-iphone-5-with-metal-back-cover.html

Judging by the many replica cases they are selling, it seems to be a fake Sword 5.

We are in the process of clarifying with the manufacturer with regards to this issue. It happens during the Sword for iphone 4 era & they turn out to be replicas.

There are a few ways to identify a FAKE Sword 5 as of now:

- logo is imprinted & not laser edged on the bumper
- LJY logo missing or not legible on the crush pads.
- Genuine hologram sticker missing, damaged or not legible on the package (box)
- Included carbon fiber back plate is missing or of flimsy quality.
- Finishing of the bumper is uneven, rough or matte.

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
I got my silver case. It's different than pictured. The box was cheap and banged up. The advertised back plate was not there even though it is mentioned on the box.

It appears to be the version before the revision 2. There are four screws. The name on the side is sword, not sword 5 but it is laser etched. The LJY is not printed on the pads.

My impression is that it is an early version by LJY. The reason I say that is the finish is shiny, uniform and very good. Even though the box was banged up the bumper was nearly perfect. The pads are full coverage and carefully applied. I'm almost very satisfied. If the signal is unaffected it will be a keeper.

I'll be testing tomorrow.

It was from: http://dx-box.com/ljy-sword-ultra-t...for-apple-iphone-5-with-metal-back-cover.html

Last edited:

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
You are probably right. I just couldn't resist the $30.00 experiment.

It's just so perfect otherwise and I live in an urban area.

It fits your iPhone 5? They didn't make this case for iPhone 5 unless its the 2nd revision (Sword 5). So it's most likely a fake.

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
So here's the information some are waiting for. With my authentic Element Sector 5 My signal is LTE -92 db with the fake sword case I received it is LTE -112 db. I can't live with 20 db loss. So my $30.00 experiment was a lesson learned. So far the Element design is the only metal case I'll use.

Here's what I sent them:
The iPhone 5 aluminum bumper you sent has many problems and I want to return it for a refund. The product isn't as advertised. The LJY Sword Ultra-thin Alu Bumper, Aluminum bumper For Apple iPhone 5 With Metal Back Cover, It is pictured with Sword 5 printed on the side and LJY the inside padding. It just says Sword on the side and no print inside. The back cover also printed on the box was not included. The holes for the plugs were smaller and different then those shown. There were 4 extremely small screws not the 2 shown. They were almost impossible to deal with (so small you can barely pick them up). The plastic box was broken. The cardboard one was damaged allowing the bumper to bounce around. The bumper was damaged in several places. When installed it killed cell signal by -25 db. This was a false advertised and faulty product. It is probably a fake copy of the Sword 5 case. Please let me know what to do to receive a refund.

Last edited:

27bslash6

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
Aluminium bumper

Hello. I have had the Sword 5 bumper on my black iPhone 5 for a few weeks since a trip overseas. It replaced a Draco V (metro black) which replaced an Element 5.

The Element 5 looked great in the photos, ugly on the phone. Reception dramatically decreased.

The Draco V looks fantastic on the phone, but is uncomfortable to hold. Some reception loss was noticed but not as bad as the Element case.

The Sword 5 bumper (silver) looks nice but I have also noticed reception issues. Again, not as bad as the Element V. Without the bumper -86 and with the bumper, -92 (not dramatic but noticeable.) It is comfortable to hold but the rim looks fat (imo).

I have ordered the Power Support Flat bumper which I expect to be delivered tomorrow. It is not aluminum but it looks nice.

Edit: Also, the logo on the side of the Sword 5 is far too large.

Enforce

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2012
South East Asia
Judging by the many replica cases they are selling, it seems to be a fake Sword 5.

We are in the process of clarifying with the manufacturer with regards to this issue. It happens during the Sword for iphone 4 era & they turn out to be replicas.

There are a few ways to identify a FAKE Sword 5 as of now:

- logo is imprinted & not laser edged on the bumper
- LJY logo missing or not legible on the crush pads.
- Genuine hologram sticker missing, damaged or not legible on the package (box)
- Included carbon fiber back plate is missing or of flimsy quality.
- Finishing of the bumper is uneven, rough or matte.

Ok so i've got an answer. the manufacturer only supply the SWORD 5 to their appointed distributors/dealers and not any other companies or whosoever sells them.

Thus if you guys see any SWORD 5's price, package or offer which is too good to be true it is 100% counterfeit. ;)

Contrary to popular beliefs, SWORD being a designed in Japan & made in China product, is more highly prone to counterfeits compared to US aluminum bumper brands. It has been like this since the original Sword for iPhone 4 was released. Moulds were stolen by factory workers & sold for a profit to another factory, no matter the amount of security, its a norm in china.

Personally, i feel Sword is an underrated product mainly because people despise made in china products regardless of how good their quality. Also, their advertisement is not strong in Asia & almost non-existent in the US & EU.

----------

You are probably right. I just couldn't resist the $30.00 experiment.

It's just so perfect otherwise and I live in an urban area.

in fact, its at most $20 more for the real, proper thing. Unlike Elementcases where the difference can be $150 or more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.