LMAO! Leopard install black screen horror...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cossie, Jul 6, 2008.

1. cossie macrumors member

Leopard arrived in the post last week and I set aside time to install it on my MBP this evening while watching the tennis.

I install it, and it all goes grand...then i reboot.

After the reboot, I get the chime, the grey screen with the logo, the little pinwheel spins around...and then a totally black screen. :eek:

Cue a major freak out with lots of googling and searching all the mac support forums i can find. I ran the Hardware test, reset my pram...still nothing but darkness.

I then start looking at for the opening times of my local Apple Store, and try to work my Monday around a trip there. I left my MBP alone and sat down defeated and worried... :(

Then I booted it up one last time, with fingers crossed, to see if it might work.

No dice.

Then as I reached across to hit the power button, I accidentally tapped F12 and noticed a tiny flicker of very dark grey on the screen.

It turns out that somehow the brightness of my display had been completely turned off. :eek:

So crisis averted! Hence the LMAO in my post title. :)

I would have felt so dumb if I'd brought it to the Store for the guys there to turn on the brightness...and I work with computers all the time! :eek:

2. thecartoonguy macrumors 6502a

thecartoonguy

Hehe

Don't feel bad. My 21 month old was messing with our computer and the same thing happened.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Umhm. Had to do something to stretch the install to 5 hours, didn't you? ;)

4. tsvb macrumors 6502

ha. I set my brightness all the way down and my brother tried to use it and thought he broke it some how.

5. !on macrumors member

rofl! i has the windows bluescreen for wallpaper. hope i don't encounter the mac version!

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Thanks. Now I have another way to prank my Macbook [Pro] hording friends.

7. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Although it's still not good to get one, the Mac equivalent of a BSoD (known as a Kernel Panic) looks much...sexier.

[​IMG]

8. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Yeah. The Chinese in the bottom really underlines the grand aesthetic expression of a modernistic global society in awe. :)

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

First, I'm glad it was nothing serious! If I had a nickel for every time.... :D

Second, I'm confused. You're on a MBP, right? You hit the F12 key, right? You saw a flicker on the screen, right? You had your brightness turned off, right?

On my MBP, the F12 controls the volume, not the brightness, which is F2, all the way across the keyboard from the power button. I know I'm missing something.... what is it? :confused:

10. cossie thread starter macrumors member

F12 controls the widgets on my MBP not the brightness, I just happened to notice a flicker (because one of my widgets is a greyish / white circle) on my screen when I pressed it. F4 and F5 control my volume and as you rightly pointed out F2 (and F3) control the brightness.

11. shigzeo macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

the bottom one is not chinese. korean or vietnamese. definately not chinese

12. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

its Japanese. i can remember the characters from learning Japanese in the first two years of primary school (elementary). i cant speak it at all i just remember the characters… im amazed i can remember them!

13. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Hilarious story hahah :D.

I used to work at a TV broadcasting place. When my boss was bored, he'd try scare us into making us think things were going wrong by turning off monitors or messing with brightness levels. Awesome :p.

--

It's entirely Japanese, but wow, your comment made me chuckle inside :p