Load Balancing Software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vebatro, Oct 1, 2014.

1. vebatro macrumors newbie

I bought an iMac today and so far I'm loving it. On my Windows PC I have a bit of software called Connectify Dispatch which is basically some third party load balancing software.

Is there anything similar available for OS X? I've seen a workaround for using Dispatch on OS X but it involves a bit of extra hardware and a virtual machine, frankly I'd rather just use different software if it was available.

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

How many gateways do you use?
    Usually the OS will automatically direct to the fastest network service and I don't really know people that use more than one gateway (DSL modem, LTE modem, open wifi internet ...) at the same time.

3. vebatro thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I use two, one DSL and one LTE. I can get by with just my DSL, it was handy being able to split my connections because of the work I do but it's not the end of the world.

4. dyn macrumors 68030

You mean network/internet connection loadbalancing which is usually done on a separate box that also doubles as router/firewall. PfSense is a piece of software which is able to do that but it will have to run in a vm or on dedicated hardware. This system uses software for the loadbalancing which is common UNIX/Linux software and probably also installable via MacPorts or you can compile it yourself. This requires quite some knowledge though. I have no idea if there is OS X software that does all this and is easy to use and I don't think you'll find it easily since it is usually part of the router/firewall.