load battery only when under XX%

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Yin, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Yin macrumors member

Hi

i own a 13" macbook pro 2011 and travel a lot. usually i do not need that much battery, so after a workday, i still have about 60%. however, if i plug it in, the batteries start to charge.
    is there an option that allows me to control, when the battery starts to charge? i know that there is already a limit around 90%. is there any way i can change this limit?

thanks a lot!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, if you plug in with a battery that's not fully charged, it will charge, as long as it's below around 93%. However, why would you want to prevent that? It's not a problem to recharge at any time. Mac batteries don't suffer from the "memory effect" of Ni-Cd batteries. It's fine to recharge them at any time. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

DOn't batteries have a memory of a limit? As in if you never dip below a certain %, the battery somehow remembers that and adversly affects performance if you do did below?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, that's only Ni-Cd batteries. The lithium polymer batteries used in Apple portables don't have memory effect.