Load OS X To External Drive In Order To Boot iMac G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by z3kracer, Feb 24, 2013.

1. z3kracer macrumors newbie

I've searched around and haven't found anyone with the exact same scenario.

I have an iMac G4 17" that has a failed internal HD, as evidence by clicking and confirmed by an error code after running the Hardware Test CD. Ultimately, I'd like to replace the internal HD. In the mean time, I would like to see if it is possible to load OSX on an external drive (I have an unused WD My Passport for Mac 500GB USB) and boot the iMac from that. I have the original Software Install and Restore DVD with 10.2.3. While restarting and holding down C with the DVD in the optical drive, I get no options. I hear the start-up chime and eventually get the light grey background with the dark grey Apple in the center.

Is there anyway to use the Restore DVD, load it into my Intel MBP, load OSX onto the external drive and THEN plug that external drive into the iMac to boot up? Its worth mentioning that when I insert the Restore DVD into the MBP, it makes a lot of noise while attempting to read the disc and is extremely difficult to eject.

Do I have any options?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It's my understanding that the WD Passport external drives won't boot PowerPC Macs. So, even if you could get the iMac to boot from the DVD and install OSX to the WD drive, you would not be able to boot from it.

3. RedCroissant Suspended

I had the same problem with not being able to boot from an external firewire drive and someone gave me this link from WD's website for assistance:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1787

Since it's your iMac G4 and it uses an Ultra ATA, the only recourses you have are finding another ATA drive to replace the one in your iMac, or finding an external that can boot a PPC Mac.

4. z3kracer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the insight. That gives me somewhere to start.

5. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

You can also use a SATA drive (much cheaper nowadays) and a SATA to ATA adapter.

6. hwojtek macrumors 65816

hwojtek

Isn't it because of the MBR partitioning?

7. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

However, they are a very, very tight fit.

8. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Use a 2.5" SATA drive - mount it with some double-stick tape or something