Load Tiger OS from Install disk on crashed MAC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by accacc57, Feb 20, 2009.

1. accacc57 macrumors newbie

Please help. My G5 was working fine, then I installed some operating system updates, did a restart and when it came back up it would not get past the grey screen. I booted from the install disk and tried to reinstall the OS- it failed. I tried using disk verify - it failed. I tried the fix disk - it failed. I tried to copy the install disk to the harddrive - it failed. I finally got it to erase/copy the install disk. Then I tried to run the install and it seemed to work. But when I restarted... the same grey screen. So, I was thinking maybe a hardware problem. I then booted from the disk again (Tiger) and ran disk verify and it passed fine. So not hardware, I'm assuming. When kI did the erase/copy did I erase something I shouldn't have? My HD is now called Tiger Install DVD, but from what I've read on here I don't think thats the problem.

I think this might be that worm that I read about because it happened during a generally safe OS upgrade.

I am lost. Please help. I boot in Verbose and can see that it's having problems but I don't know what any of it means.

This system originally came with Panther and we updated to Tiger, so I thought I would try to install Panther first and then upgrade to Tiger.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

You can't copy the install disk to the hard drive. I would suggest that you wipe the hard disk then boot from the Tiger install disk to re-install.