Loadcycles question

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Dont charge it, then your portable machine will become a desktop.
And it will also kill your battery (i.e. it'll prevent it from re-charging correctly). I wouldn't recommend doing that.

OP, is there a particular reason you want to avoid re-charging your battery? ..because it is totally normal and does not harm your system one bit.

For example, mine has a bunch of loadcycles and it's still in good health.

Attachments

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
And it will also kill your battery (i.e. it'll prevent it from re-charging correctly). I wouldn't recommend doing that.

OP, is there a particular reason you want to avoid re-charging your battery? ..because it is totally normal and does not harm your system one bit.

For example, mine has a bunch of loadcycles and it's still in good health.
Just got a new ish book and am looking to get a battery for it. I see one one ebay for it with some 300 charge cycles and 90% capacity left- how long do you think it will last before failing on me? Its an A1281 removable battery.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hi, how do I avoid battery loadcycles on my Macbook Pro?

Cheers
You don't want to avoid cycles. Your battery needs to be used to stay healthy. Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug at any time, regardless of the charged percentage. Just make sure you don't run on AC power all the time, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

AussieDennis

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2012
You don't want to avoid cycles. Your battery needs to be used to stay healthy. Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug at any time, regardless of the charged percentage. Just make sure you don't run on AC power all the time, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
Yes, you do. The more load cycles you have the quicker the battery aka electrochemical cells will wear out.

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Yes, you do. The more load cycles you have the quicker the battery aka electrochemical cells will wear out.
Laptop batteries are meant to be used regularly, in a "normal" manner. If you use it abnormally, cycling it too frequently or cycling too infrequently, the battery will wear out quicker.

My recommendation to the OP is to use the laptop as he/she normally would and not worry about battery. As you see in above screenshot, I've used mine pretty heavily in the course of a year, re-charging it almost every day and the battery is still in good health.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
Laptop batteries are meant to be used regularly, in a "normal" manner. If you use it abnormally, cycling it too frequently or cycling too infrequently, the battery will wear out quicker.

My recommendation to the OP is to use the laptop as he/she normally would and not worry about battery. As you see in above screenshot, I've used mine pretty heavily in the course of a year, re-charging it almost every day and the battery is still in good health.
What would you say about the probable condition of a battery bought new 1 year ago and has only been used once?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I don't see where it says to take the battery out and shake it. Didn't we learn that in another post GGJ? :)
Yeah, and I left out the part about waving your left hand over it while facing west and whistling, holding a pomegranate in your right hand, which removes any battery viruses. :D

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
Why don't you download coconutBattery and tell us?
Battery is being sold, dont have it yet but am wondering the probable condition :)

My current battery is at a whopping 673 cycles and has 37% capacity, if you need know.

----------

Yeah, and I left out the part about waving your left hand over it while facing west and whistling, holding a pomegranate in your right hand, which removes any battery viruses. :D
I need to find a pomegranate.......