Loaded 13" MBA vs. (slightly older) 17" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bwphoto, Oct 26, 2010.

1. bwphoto macrumors member

I've read about the updated hardware and video processing on the new MBAs. I'm looking at either getting a fully loaded 13" or keeping my older 17" MBP. It's C2D 2.33, 3GB 667MHz, Radeon X1600 w/ 256MB. Either would be used with a 23" Cinema Display.

Typical usage involves Hulu or iTunes (audio) whilst on the web / working on projects. The biggest resource hog is likely to be a 70+ GB photo library in Aperture which are occasionally Photoshopped. My job has changed somewhat so that I don't need to be running PS and InDesign as much anymore - most of what I'm doing is text / web based.

I understand the specs somewhat, but I'm not sure how the updates to the processor and video card will affect me and using it w/ the Cinema Display. I'd be dumping the MBP and using the 13" MBA as my primary machine, possibly getting a mini when they update those (or iMac and ditching the Cinema) and relegating my MBA to travel usage.

I've been debating this since they announced the Air simply Can't. Make. Up. My. Mind.

The MBP currently does all I need it to do, but I'm being seduced by the design and portability of the MBA, now that I no longer need the portable studio that the big heavy MBP offers.

Thanks!

2. drvelocity macrumors member

A fully decked out 13" would spank that system in almost every meaningful way. I am trading my 2.8ghz/4gb/160gb x25-m/9600gt 17" for the very same macbook air you are considering, in my case I'm expecting a 25% performance loss CPU wise and a 10-15% performance loss for games. I can handle either considering all of the plusses gained with this miraculous device. Perhaps I will regret it but I know my shoulders will thank me!