Loaded MBA or base 13in MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by altecXP, May 10, 2011.

1. altecXP macrumors 65816

I'm debating getting either:
    a refurbished loaded 11in MBA

-or-

buying a 13in MBP and installing my 1600MHz 8GB, 240GB SSD and my 500GB HDD optibay

Which do you guys think is a better idea? I can get either for $999.

2. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Well, do you think that you might possibly need or want more than 4 gigs of ram on the Air? If so, that might be a deciding factor for you. The 13 inch MBP will give you a few options for expanding later on and a newer processor and you get 2 inches more of screen real estate. No one can really answer this question for you. Weigh your options and decided what is most important to you and go that route. Personally I'd go with the 13 inch MBP but your needs might differ from mine.

Side note: I bought the 13 MBP and ended up with a 15 MBP. Go figure! :D

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

If you don't need the power, get the air. It looks nicer, and has a better screen.

If you do need the power, get a 15" MBP or get the air. The 13" MBP is an aluminum-clad, 13" Macbook with an SD slot, which is to say, the graphics card sucks and it won't be useful for anything besides number crunching.

4. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I'd go with a MBP simply because you can upgrade the internals later on and you get an i5 processor in there. Add 8GB RAM and better SSD. Also, you get a backlit keyboard if that really matters.

5. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

As long as you already have an SSD to throw in there, definitely go for the MBP. The technology in the air is obsolete and the only thing good about the air is the size, weight, and the built in SSD...

Speaking of which, the air has BUILT in SSD which means in the future if you ever want a bigger SSD you are SOL... I don't even think there is room in there for a hard drive...

Only get the air if you live in a city like New York or San Fran where you'll be walking everywhere and need to carry your computer. :)

6. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I went from a 13" MBA back to a 13" MBP. I miss the hi res screen. Thought about getting a hi res 15" but the price gave me sticker shock:) Hopefully the 13" will get a screen update next time around

7. FOX160 macrumors regular

No its not the basic 13inch MBP has an i5 2.3 processor in it and NOT a
    core 2 duo processor like the 2011 Mac Book.
    And the 2011 13inch also has future upgrades with the Thunder Bolt.

But if you was describing the 2010 13inch MBP i would agree with you.

8. palpatine macrumors 68040

mba 11". you already have two mbp 15" and i don't see much value in getting something so similar. you might as well enjoy the super portability of the 11".

9. palpatine macrumors 68040

i'm quite pleased with my 13", and i am doing more than number crunching. of course the 15" is better in terms of power, and it has a beautiful display as well, but it also costs several hundred dollars more. the 13" is a great deal considering what you get.

10. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

You're already using two MBPs, so no point in getting another one. I would go with the air.

11. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

If you don't need the power get the Air ... it's a pleasure to use!!