Loaded Win 7, Won't boot to OSX---HELP!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by walt227, Apr 20, 2010.

1. walt227 macrumors newbie

I'm a windows admin that made the switch---my first i7 MBP arrived today---I just created a partition with bootcamp, loaded win7 and bam---no more osx.

The only thing i was unsure of during the win7 install was having to format the 25gb partition i created---7 would not install on the "BOOTCAMP" partion without doing so.

:confused::mad::confused:

2. valvehead macrumors regular

Concerning formatting:

When you use Boot Camp Assistant to create the partition, it uses FAT32* format. AFAIK newer versions of Windows will not install on FAT32. They have to reformat to NTFS before installing.

Concerning booting back into OS X:

Assuming that you did install Windows correctly onto the partition labeled BOOTCAMP, then OS X is still there. While in Windows, open the Boot Camp Control Panel (you did install the Boot camp drivers from the OS X DVD, right?) by clicking on the grey diamond in the system tray. On one of the tabs there is a setting for start-up disk. Likewise, there is a similar setting in System Preferences under OS X. I believe that either of these settings should change the default operating system (I've never actually changed mine from the OS X default).

You can also choose which operating system to run when you start up the computer. Hold down the Option (Alt) key just after the start-up chime. After a couple of seconds, hard disk icons for OS X and Windows will appear. Choose the one you want to boot to. This selection is temporary (unlike the start-up disk settings in the previous paragraph), so it will not change the default operating system.

I hope that helps.

*FAT32 needs to die a fiery death, along with other dinosaur technologies (such as interlaced video). /rant

3. walt227 thread starter macrumors newbie

Figured it out before I had a meltdown, but thanks---you are right on the money. I had to reformat the BOOTCAMP partition before loading Win 7. My issue was the bootcamp util had set Windows to the default OS.