Loading 1TB TM backup onto 256GB computer?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Qwerty11, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Qwerty11 macrumors regular

I am upgrading from iMac to MacBook. I have the almost 1TB of data from the iMac backed up via time machine. How do I transfer this to the new MacBook that only has 256GB of internal storage. I would like only a portion of the iMac's backup on the MacBook, and the rest on an external drive. How do I do this?

2. Qwerty11 thread starter macrumors regular

Can I connect both the time machine drive and another HD to the MB at the same time and move the files that I do not want on the MB to the other HD?

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

Confirm the amount of data first. When you do a "Get Info" on each User Account that contains data that you want to transfer, what is the total amount?

Are you trying to get your User Accounts, all applications, and settings onto the MacBook?

4. Qwerty11 thread starter macrumors regular

For the most part. The majority of the data is pictures and videos, so that is what I would want to transfer over to the other hd. How do I do that; transfer only certain files from time machine had to other external hd.

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

Are these pictures "loose" in folders, in your Photos app or a combination of the two?

6. Qwerty11 thread starter macrumors regular

Some are in the pictures folder and some are in Lightroom.

7. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

A bit tricky, then. You have to take the Lightroom catalog into consideration. It's a database that stores file location info and if you start moving things around you could render the database useless.

What version of macOS is the iMac running?

8. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

OP:
    My advice will be different from all the others above.

Obviously, you can't "take all your data with you" to the new MacBook.
    Some is going to have to "remain behind".

Rather than leave it on a TM backup, I would suggest that you use CarbonCopyCloner (SuperDuper works, too) to create a CLONED BACKUP of your iMac's drive.

Why?
    Because a cloned backup is instantly finder-mountable and browseable. And by setting the old drive (using the new MacBook) to "ignore ownership", you won't experience any permissions problems when you need to use something from the old backup drive.

Now... you can copy one file, several files, one folder, several folders from the cloned backup to the new MacBook, as easy as copying files from anywhere else.

Note:
    Both CCC and SD are FREE to download and FREE to use for 30 days.

9. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

The OP might be able to use CCC in the process but I'm pretty sure a step-by-step procedure would need to be laid out...the first question being "where is this clone supposed to be created?"

10. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Brian asks:
    "a step-by-step procedure would need to be laid out...the first question being "where is this clone supposed to be created?""

Well... on a spare drive, I presume! ;)

11. Qwerty11 thread starter macrumors regular

I do have CCC, so I'm in luck. I guess I just move through CCC what files I want to the MB and transfer the rest to another drive? Is it possible through CCC to have the CCC drive and another drive hooked up to the MB and transfer files between drives?

12. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

Check this idea for holes:

Attach the new external hard drive to the iMac and format it properly. Offload photos/files (and delete whatever you don't want) from the system drive to the new hard drive in a way that keeps your system and applications operating correctly. Once you've gotten the iMac's system drive's used space down to where it will fit on the MacBook's drive...and I think you should aim for as much free space as possible...migrate the iMac's system drive to the new MacBook. I'm not sure if you should have the external with your files plugged into the MacBook during migration but it might be a good idea. Make sure you don't already have an account set up on the MacBook with the same username as your account on the iMac before you migrate.

13. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

OP wrote:
    "I do have CCC, so I'm in luck. I guess I just move through CCC what files I want to the MB and transfer the rest to another drive? Is it possible through CCC to have the CCC drive and another drive hooked up to the MB and transfer files between drives?"

Why not just let CCC create an entire cloned backup?
    It will boot right to the finder (if you want it to do so).
    It can be mounted in the finder (will look EXACTLY like your current internal drive -- you have to check "about this Mac" in the finder to know which drive is mounted -- after all, "it's a clone")

CCC is so easy to use, the only way to understand what it can do for you is... to use it and see....

One other thought (important).

Before you try copying files from the CCC clone to the NEW Mac, do this:
    - Connect the backup and mount it on the desktop (DON'T open it yet)
    - Type "command-i" (eye) to bring up the get info box
    - At the bottom right corner, click the lock icon and enter your administrative password
    - In the "sharing and permissions" area, put a check into the box "ignore ownership on this volume".
    - Close the get info box.
    This avoids any permissions problems that might occur when copying items from your "old" account into your new one...