loading app store and app problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lewys, Jul 28, 2011.

1. lewys macrumors 6502

lewys

My girlfriend bought a new i5 MBP from the apple store a two days ago.
    When in the shop they put lion on there for her for free (SL was already installed).

When we got home every time we opened the app store we would get the little pinwheel for about 20 seconds and when opening apps we would get the pinwheel about 70% of the time.

Is this normal? Is there anything we can do to stop it as it is getting really annoying.

2. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Same here (upgraded from SL to Lion). I never had this many slowdowns on Snow Leopard, with the Mac App Store app specifically. Everything else (except a few rough edges around the OS) seems to work just fine.
    My guess is (but don't quote me on this) that it's a 64bit compatibility problem. Anyhow, Apple really needs to do some work on patching the Mac App Store experience.

3. lewys thread starter macrumors 6502

lewys

so something like this can be fixed in an update?
    i was tempted to take it back as i have only had it a few days. would they all have this problem?

he said it was the brand new model but when i look in 'about this mac' it says early 2011

is there not a mid 2011 one yet?

4. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Definitely.

Likely, yes. It is apparent that Lion was designed primarily around Macbook Airs. Machines that are upgraded to Lion are bound to have a few quirks here and there.

"Early 2011" are the newest model. Apple differentiates different Mac generations by the time they were introduced to market, not by the time they were assembled.

5. lewys thread starter macrumors 6502

lewys

it also happens whenever she needs to type in her password to authorise something. so annoying..