Loading bar on startup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by reinventinglove, Dec 13, 2012.

1. reinventinglove macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have a mid-2008 MacBook pro which is now running Mountain Lion that I bought off eBay in 2010. I've never had any problems apart from the occasional freezing. It had been working fine all day, then I left my computer on and went away for no longer than 5 minutes, and when I came back my computer had shut down. I figured it must have run out of battery, but it was plugged in. When I started it up again, there was a loading bar on the startup screen, which I had never seen before. Once completed "loading", which took around 10 minutes, the computer shut itself down again. I started it up again and the same thing happened. I've tried starting it in safe mode and holding the power button to update the firmware in case there was a problem with that, but that didn't help anything either, it just kept shutting down after the bar had loaded. I read that force shutdowns can cause this problem, but I haven't needed to do that in months. I'm really confused as to why this is happening, especially because my computer was charging and turned on while I was away for that short amount of time and any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

- Lauren

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

See if it will start to the recovery disk by booting while holding command-r. If that works, start Disk Utility and run repair disk.

3. reinventinglove thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help! Correct me if I'm wrong, but to repair the disk through disk utility, you need the correct installation disk, which I don't actually have. Is there a way to repair it without the disk?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Since you have installed Mountain Lion, it creates a 650MB Recovery HD partition that you can access with the command-r boot. On that partition you will se Disk Util. It can be run right from the recovery partition without an install DVD.