loading browser pages painfully slow on high end mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Foxdog175, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Foxdog175 macrumors regular

I'm running a 2x3.2 quad core g5 with 12 gigs of ram, but lately, my browser speeds have plummeted. Regardless of browser (default is firefox, but it also happens in chrome and safari), my pages are loading extremely slowly. However, the web browser(s) seems to be the only part of the internet that's lagging. World of Warcraft ping is almost always around 30ms, even a time zone away. And my speed tests verify that everything is fine - 5/6 megs down, and .5-.6 megs up.

Anyone have any idea of what would be slowing my browser down? Funny thing is the only site that loads as it should is a google search through the toolbar of firefox. Any other bookmarked site takes 3-5 seconds at the very least...sometimes up to 10-15+ seconds.

2. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

I would clear all the cache folders and re-set the browsers. Are you running some application in the background that might interfere?

3. Foxdog175 thread starter macrumors regular

I did go to prefs > advanced > network > Clear Now

Is there another way to clear the cache folders? Also, how do I do a browser reset?

4. Foxdog175 thread starter macrumors regular

Any info? It always seems to hang on "Looking up..." in the lower left of firefox.

5. dashcs macrumors regular

If the download speed is good yet the browser is horrible and your clear out your cache.

Also you state firefox "Looking up..." in the lower left of firefox. gets stuck there

Then the issue is your DNS
    You can flush your DNS inside terminal and see if it revolves it.
    Or just add OpenDNS or GoogleDNS

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"You can flush your DNS inside terminal and see if it revolves it."

If you don't mind, could you post the terminal command that will do this?

7. psxguru macrumors 6502a

8. Foxdog175 thread starter macrumors regular

I typed "dscacheutil -flushcache " into my terminal, but that didn't seem to do anything. The problem still exists.

9. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

Try manually changing your DNS server to see if that speeds things up. I'd recommend OpenDNS (208.67.222.222 or 208.67.220.220).