iPad loading content on a gift ipad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by keepingup, Jul 18, 2013.

1. keepingup macrumors member

We live in NYC and are gifting my 90 year old mother-in-law an ipad. We want to preload it with her favorite music, family photos, a few movies, and news apps. She does not have an itunes account. Should I link the new ipad to my account to load it up and just leave it that way? Or is it possible to load it up, delete my account info, and let her just run it with the content I load? She's in an assisted living situation so we want to keep the account information safe because my whole family uses the same itunes account. How would you go about this?

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Just create her an iTunes account of her own (without a credit card) and stick an iTunes voucher on it. That way you can show her how to download her own stuff, but won't have to worry about her spending your or her own real money.

3. keepingup thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Is a voucher like a gift card? We prepay it?

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

While you should be able to send an electronic one you could buy a gift card from the supermarket, login to her iTunes account and redeem it for her. Her iPad will see the new balance automatically.

Just remember to resist the temptation to reorganize her stuff in a way that makes sense for you.

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

OT...

I love your Grandmother!:D

And to those who say those "old folks" can't learn basic usage skills I say....nyaaah!

I'd love to see the reaction of some of your Grandmother's friends when she shows them her family pictures on her iPad. Great stuff!:D

6. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Anybody who ever met my parents, thats who!

7. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

Mine too. My 70 yr old mother recently got an iPad. Teaching her the most basic task was more painful than a tooth needing a root canal (I'm not exaggerating). To learn how to go online she literally wrote down: step 1, turn on iPad, step 2, tap safari. And then, the only website she wanted me to show her was google.com. According to her, google.com is all she needs to find anything. In retrospect I can't really argue with her, but she didn't understand that the search box in the upper right corner is the same thing.

8. keepingup thread starter macrumors member

Fortunately, my 90 year old mother-in-law has been using computers and texting for years. She's slower than a 30 year old, but gets there just the same. May we all live so long and be blessed with retention of our cognitive abilities!

9. keepingup thread starter macrumors member

FYI, here's how we did it in the end

We created a new gmail account for her, and gifted her a $100 iTunes credit. We will replenish credit as needed. Then we bought her favorite songs and a few movies and preloaded them on the ipad. We were able to email family photos from our computes and pretty quickly created a 400 photo library and some slide shows for her. This way we didn't have to link a credit card which is safer in the nursing home environment. It's all wrapped up ready to be presented tomorrow at her 90th birthday celebration. Fingers crossed she likes it.

10. Sparticu$ macrumors member

I would also install some sort of remote management app as well. This will help if she ever has questions or needs help. I have LogMeIn on my Grandfather's computer, any time hes stuck I can just take control and show him what to do.

11. macpluslaptop macrumors 6502

Followup requested

Let us know if she likes it!

12. keepingup thread starter macrumors member

she loved it!

Was totally thrilled. Cried when she watched the slideshow and heard the music. Asked for a printer so she could print out her favorite news stories. Stayed up for hours trying to learn. Gee whiz, please let me be 90 and sharp like her. Thanks again for the advice.