Loading Fonts - confusion all around

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by miamilight, May 18, 2010.

1. miamilight macrumors newbie

I am trying to download fonts just to experiment with them. My first attempt was successful several weeks ago, but since then, I've only had trouble. First, I couldn't figure out how to open .sit files, since that seems to be the format many of the free fonts are in. Then someone recommended the "Unarchiver" as an alternative. But even still I am unable to get fonts to load into my font book. Am I doing something wrong? Is it just chance that the last 10 files I've chosen are corrupt? Are there good sites to download free fonts that are not corrupt?

Thanks.
    DDS

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You can use Unarchiver to "unzip" the .sit files. Just check off that format in Unarchivers preferences.

4. miamilight thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks GGJ. I understand that much. The question is more once I have the file unzipped, how do you load it? For example, one font I downloaded and unzipped is called Typewriter New Roman. Inside the folder are four files, one of which is a text file. The other three have the following extensions: .afm, .inf and .pfb. What do you do with these files? Font book won't pick them up when I go to Font Book / Load. When I have had success loading fonts before, I have seen only two files inside the folder: one a text file and the other is a icon preview of the font, which you simply right-click and load. So if I don't see the icon preview, do I assume the file is corrupt or incompatible?

5. miamilight thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Aggie. I'll check those links. By chance can you recommend any good, reputable sites for fonts?

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Not really, but I've used this one once.

http://www.1001freefonts.com/