Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MDiddy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Chicago
Hello everyone,

I'm new to iOS development and I've been running into all sorts of problems searching for a tutorial that I can follow in Xcode 4.2. Its almost certainly my newness but its a bit discouraging. I want to learn and as a personal challenge I decided that I'd build a Bus Tracker app using data provided by my town's service, the CTA (transitchicago.com). I have my API key and I have a decent understanding of OOP but I can't wrap my head around the code I need for setting up, retrieving, and displaying this data.

From what I've gathered, I will embed an XML with the base call results for bus routes in the app since that doesn't change much. Then, when you choose a route, I'll make external calls to the web API, which returns xml. I need to send parameters with each call and store the results but I've been unsuccessful to date. The tutorials I've seen don't use iOS 5's new resource counting and some of the projects I've loaded are broken and I have no clue how to fix them.

Can anyone suggest a clean, easy to follow tutorial that will help me figure out how I can load xml remotely and locally, store it in a meaningful way, and apply its values to a TableView?

Any help is appreciated.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
From what I've gathered, I will embed an XML with the base call results for bus routes in the app since that doesn't change much.
What do you mean by "embed an XML"?

The tutorials I've seen don't use iOS 5's new resource counting...
ARC is not a feature of iOS 5 but of Xcode 4.2. It's quite possible to create a project that runs under iOS 4 and still uses ARC.

...some of the projects I've loaded are broken and I have no clue how to fix them.
Perhaps if you provided the details of how they are "broken", others can provide suggestions for how to fix them.

Can anyone suggest a clean, easy to follow tutorial that will help me figure out how I can load xml remotely and locally, store it in a meaningful way, and apply its values to a TableView?
What tutorials have you been looking at thus far? Perhaps you might consider installing Xcode 3 alongside 4 just so that you can follow along. Or perhaps you might consider creating your project without ARC turned on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.