Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
Question about loading my photo library onto my touch (as I wait for it to ship). I'm upgrading from a 3rd gen iPod so my new touch will be my first photo-capable iPod.

Do pics load onto the iPod at full resolution or do they get resized to maximize space on the iPod? Or do you have a choice?

If they do get resized, any idea of how much space is saved on average? My iPhoto library is currently ~10 GB, but I only want to use 3 or 4 GB of space on my touch for pics...

Thanks! m-dogg

jacktiernan

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
Vic, Australia
Question about loading my photo library onto my touch (as I wait for it to ship). I'm upgrading from a 3rd gen iPod so my new touch will be my first photo-capable iPod.

Do pics load onto the iPod at full resolution or do they get resized to maximize space on the iPod? Or do you have a choice?

If they do get resized, any idea of how much space is saved on average? My iPhoto library is currently ~10 GB, but I only want to use 3 or 4 GB of space on my touch for pics...

Thanks! m-dogg

They get resized. From what i have seen on videos (my ipod touch hasnt arrived yet), they get resized to about double what you can see on screen, which would make the images about 960x640 once itunes has resized them.

This means a photo would probably be about 200-400kb in size.

The Gelding

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2007
Yup 14.5 gigs of pics on my Imac and comes in at about 2.3 on the Touch, takes a little while to resize, not too long though.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
Cool - I should be able to keep my entire photo library with me then!

Speaking of which, I could see my wife (who isn't really music & technology obsessed like me) wanting one of these just for the photo-viewing capabilities alone. She's love to be able to keep this tucked away in her purse and be able to show anyone any picture any time!

-Dark Angel-

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2007
Weird. That same amount (14.5) is equal to 2.4 on my touch. :(

It just depends on how much there is going on in the picture. If there is alot of colors, it will take up more memory but if you have pictures that does not have alot of colors at once, it will take up less memory. A huge black image takes up less memory than a same size image that has like a picture of a stadium for example.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.