Loading photos on an iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by m-dogg, Sep 23, 2007.

1. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

Question about loading my photo library onto my touch (as I wait for it to ship). I'm upgrading from a 3rd gen iPod so my new touch will be my first photo-capable iPod.

Do pics load onto the iPod at full resolution or do they get resized to maximize space on the iPod? Or do you have a choice?

If they do get resized, any idea of how much space is saved on average? My iPhoto library is currently ~10 GB, but I only want to use 3 or 4 GB of space on my touch for pics...

Thanks! m-dogg

2. jacktiernan macrumors regular

They get resized. From what i have seen on videos (my ipod touch hasnt arrived yet), they get resized to about double what you can see on screen, which would make the images about 960x640 once itunes has resized them.

This means a photo would probably be about 200-400kb in size.

3. The Gelding macrumors newbie

Yup 14.5 gigs of pics on my Imac and comes in at about 2.3 on the Touch, takes a little while to resize, not too long though.

4. m-dogg thread starter macrumors 65816

m-dogg

Cool - I should be able to keep my entire photo library with me then!

Speaking of which, I could see my wife (who isn't really music & technology obsessed like me) wanting one of these just for the photo-viewing capabilities alone. She's love to be able to keep this tucked away in her purse and be able to show anyone any picture any time!

5. Lord Sam macrumors regular

Lord Sam

Weird. That same amount (14.5) is equal to 2.4 on my touch. :(

6. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

It just depends on how much there is going on in the picture. If there is alot of colors, it will take up more memory but if you have pictures that does not have alot of colors at once, it will take up less memory. A huge black image takes up less memory than a same size image that has like a picture of a stadium for example.