loading programs and they do not appear in apps foler

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by vance09, Sep 5, 2009.

1. vance09 macrumors regular

Twice now i have installed programs and then i cannot find the program i installed ,seems to just not be there but installation was successful .
    Can soemone tell me where these programs go

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Did you drag them from the disk image to your Applications folder?

3. vance09 thread starter macrumors regular

installing

I'm new at this ( a pc user)
    I clicked on the dmg file and it said it was installing ,showed what it needed to install and away it went but i cannot find it ,yet i remember the sucessful green mark

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Click the spotlight magnifying glass and search for it ...

Also, watch this video, as installing Mac apps is different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TiQXbeydKQ

5. vance09 thread starter macrumors regular

installs

my program had the installer with and out of the 7 disks one disk was bad ,possinbly this is why i cannot find the program ,but because it was all successfull i figure it must have went in.
    The search shows nothing also,is it possible it all sits in ram and has to be totally successful to get installed

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yeah, if a disc failed, then that is the problem.

7. vance09 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks

one more thing though i did install corel draw 11 and i had to go the main drive to get the application as it did not appear in the apps folder ,guess thats why i'm wondering where these few programs have gone

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Isn't your Applications folder on the main drive? It should be, because that where updates and installers will look for it.

9. vance09 thread starter macrumors regular

installs

yes you're correct but most programs i have installed all appear in the application folder or utilities folder ,but some ( a few) seem to pick there own folder ie the corel one ,it was not in the apps folder i went looking on the main drive and it was there all on its own,found it strange ,as when you go--to the app folder all apps show up ,not corel you go to the drive and there is the directory ,i then dragged corel draw to the doc as i'm not comfortable going to the hard drive to run an application

10. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

A .dmg is a disk image. Double click it and it mounts (shows up on your desktop or in Finder). Some will automatically open, others need to be opened. Either way get it open, and you may be presented with an software license agreement (agree to it), an installer (launch it) or an icon for the software with an alias icon for your Applications folder (drag the software icon on to the Applications icon) or lastly a single Application icon or a group of files. If it's the last type just drag the application icon or the group of files into your Applications folder. If it's a group of files you may want to make a folder to put them in so they're not loose in your Applications folder. If it has an installer it will give you an opportunity to select where you want it to install. Once you've installed or copied the files from the mounted disk image you can drag the disk image to the Trash to dismount it. The .dmg file can be kept (for future use) or thrown away, it's your choice.

I know this probably sounds kind of confusing for PC users with everything over there having an installer, but it's really not that bad, and makes sense once you get used to it. If you have a question about installing specific software, let us know what it is and I'm sure that myself or someone else here can help you out.

11. vance09 thread starter macrumors regular

ok

thanks again ,the video was pretty well what you spoke of ,i am coming along good ,i've had 4 calls in to tech support and i have had my mac pro since aug18th its only a few things that are bugging me and it will iron itself out,i find the mac very stable and clear how things work but it is a learning curve.