Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macpropro80

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
My friend is a moron, he got a loan for 8 grand from a bank to buy a new mac pro! :eek: What kind of bank lends people 8 grand for a personal computer? Its not even for work, he got it so he can torrent his ass off! And to think bad lending is what got us in this recession and the banks still lend 8 grand for home computers!

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
It's not your money or loan but thanks for the story.

Otherwise, it's a waste of that kind of computing power even if it is expensive.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Slowly and meticulously sever your ties with this person. I mean it.

Any idiot who doesn't know that torrents download just as fast on a Mac Mini as they do a Mac Pro deserves to be isolated from society.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
If the power and real estate is there maybe he will dabble in 3d or photos or video etc. Course like many others I only upgraded my hardware after I realized my current hardware couldn't do what I needed it to. Maybe some people work in reverse .

m1stake

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Philly
Things you buy on credit as an individual include a house, and maybe a car. Why get a loan right now when the rates are so terrible? Especially for a computer, which loses 20% of it's value as soon as you open the box.

As long as he pays it off responsibly he shouldn't have an issue with his credit, but judging from the purchase alone I wouldn't bet on it. If you don't have the money, don't buy something. Sounds simple, in theory. ;)

fatespawn

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2009
Chicagoish
Slowly and meticulously sever your ties with this person. I mean it.

Any idiot who doesn't know that torrents download just as fast on a Mac Mini as they do a Mac Pro deserves to be isolated from society.

LOL.

Dude,

You had me going. I saw a glimpse of wisdom at the beginning of your reply - Sever you ties with this person... sage advice....

But your reasoning made me laugh. Not because taking any loan out for a computer is ridiculous - but because he doesn't know that downloads are the same for Pros vs. Minis. That is humorous in my book.

Never finance a disposable hunk of aluminum that can be trashed with a single glass of water.

-fate

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
LOL.

Dude,

You had me going. I saw a glimpse of wisdom at the beginning of your reply - Sever you ties with this person... sage advice....

But your reasoning made me laugh. Not because taking any loan out for a computer is ridiculous - but because he doesn't know that downloads are the same for Pros vs. Minis. That is humorous in my book.

Never finance a disposable hunk of aluminum that can be trashed with a single glass of water.

-fate

I was operating under the impression that the fact that he was taking out a loan for a computer was beyond contempt.

I thought about going back and adding it, but it felt better without it. :p

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
yeah what the hell?

Severe your ties, because your friend is not great with money? WTF?

That makes no sense, just don't marry them or go into business with them and your fine.

Maybe he needs the computer for a business that will make money (at least planned to make money)

My first workstation I bought was on credit, and I got layed off at my job a week later. Now I only buy my computers with cash in hand.

Macmel

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2008
nah, I meant borrow. Maybe it's a regional thing, but borrowing somebody some money means the same as loaning. so, you win. i win. we're winners.

Must be regional. I learnt that borrowing money from someone was TAKING money from that person. Loaning money to someone was GIVING money to that person. I think it is quite different

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
Must be regional. I learnt that borrowing money from someone was TAKING money from that person. Loaning money to someone was GIVING money to that person. I think it is quite different
Well according to the dictionary in OSX also, that would be the case.;)

rylin

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2006

Actually, the mini is somewhat limited.
My 1.66 Core Duo only hits around 2MB/sec, whereas my other machines (more memory, better CPU, faster disks) let me hit 6-7MB/sec.

Then again, we have real Internet connections over here ;)

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
lol thats pretty insane. Maybe he has great credit and a good salary which is why the bank approved it, who knows. I guess as long as he is able to comfortably make the monthly payments then whatever thats his business. I personally have not bought computers or computer equipment on credit ever, I usually sell stuff i don't need, or take money out of my savings, or start up a nice little collection. But to each its own i guess.

BConvery

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2009
....especially since he could have gotten one interest free for 12 months from Apple right now.

edgew8

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2008
Thanks for the laugh OP, seriously.

I weep for America, the gene pool here seems like it was pissed into one too many times.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
OMG a loan for a mac pro!!! Its unheard of! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I'm not even over-exaggerating and really really shocked.

I thought usually student loans for school or home loans were reasonable.

I just hope he's just your friend and NOT YOUR ROOMMATE (COUGH HALF YOUR RENT CONCERNS??).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.