Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Is there an included document editor with a Pixel/Android that DOESN'T sync to a server?

I like that Notes/Pages have local storage you can use, but Google Docs doesn't, at least not on iOS

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
OEMs like Samsung/Xiaomi offer their own stock Notes app that can be used offline/locally.
For a classic simple text editor, I use Jota+.

If you need something more sophisticated, you can download the MS Office or MS word app from the Play Store. They're free to use on phones.

There are plenty of alternative note-taking apps in the Play Store.

Reactions: Wolfpup

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
OEMs like Samsung/Xiaomi offer their own stock Notes app that can be used offline/locally.
For a classic simple text editor, I use Jota+.

If you need something more sophisticated, you can download the MS Office or MS word app from the Play Store. They're free to use on phones.

There are plenty of alternative note-taking apps in the Play Store.
Thanks! If nothing else, if Microsoft word supports local file storage, that ought to work OK! Most of my files that I would want to keep this way start out in word format on my PC anyway.

Reactions: Jhon Micheal

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
The Google Docs app supports device storage locations for accessing documents.
Oh, like so it can work with local files WITHOUT transferring them to Google’s servers?

If so, that should work fine too! It can’t do that on other platforms, but it would make sense if it has more capabilities on android.

Maybe it’ll turn out there two good programs that can do this!

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Oh, like so it can work with local files WITHOUT transferring them to Google’s servers?

If so, that should work fine too! It can’t do that on other platforms, but it would make sense if it has more capabilities on android.

Maybe it’ll turn out there two good programs that can do this!
For existing documents, yes. Just tried it on airplane mode on my phone. However, it cannot create any new documents without going online.

If you mainly deal with existing Microsoft word documents, I would just use the Office or MS Word app

Reactions: Wolfpup
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.