Local password can't be same as iCloud

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by netnothing, Sep 20, 2016.

1. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Just an interesting observation after installing Sierra on my 2010 Mac Pro - it doesn't allow the local computer password to be the same as your iCloud password. If they are, it forces you to change the local password.

EDIT: So looks like it doesn't stop you from changing it back in System Prefs afterwards. Not sure if/when it will complain again.

-Kevin

2. zepman macrumors regular

zepman

In El Capitan you could set your Apple ID as the log in method.
    Now it seems you can't do that anymore. You must have a local password on your computer.
    But you can choose your local password to be the same as your Apple ID password.

3. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

In El Cap, I had a local account and was signed into my iCloud account - both happened to have the same password.

After the Sierra upgrade, when the machine restarted - the first thing it wanted me to do was setup iCloud. After I signed in with my Apple ID, it then forced me to change my local password so it didn't match my Apple ID password. Probably smart in the long run.

Still, I was able to go into my local account afterwards and change my local password back to match. Seems it's only doing the check during install/upgrade.

-Kevin

4. zepman macrumors regular

zepman

That's the same experience as I had when I installed macOS Sierra. The only difference being that I used my Apple ID to sign in to my computer in El Capitan.